BRADLEY Lowery's mum has paid tribute to tragic tot Alfie Evans after he passed away early this morning.

Social media was awash with heartfelt messages for the battling baby after his dad revealed he had "lain down his shield".

Tragic Brad's mother Gemma lead the tributes to the little lad telling him to play with her son in heaven.

Taking to Facebook she wrote: "So sad to hear about the beautiful Alfie Evens I’m sending all my love to Alfie’s parents, they did everything they could for their little boy.

"RIP sweetheart, fly high with them angels and go have some fun with my baby boy."

Bradley passed away aged six in July last year, after a long battle with neuroblastoma, a rare type of cancer.

Tom Evans took to Facebook to tell the world poor Alfie had died after British judges denied them the right to take him to Italy.

He wrote: "My gladiator lay down his shield and gained his wings at 02:30... absolutely heartbroken... I LOVE YOU MY GUY".

Alfie's mum Kate James wrote: "Our baby boy grew his wings tonight at 2:30 am. We are heart broken. Thankyou everyone for all your support".

Celebs piled in with their messages of support for the fallen tot.

Good Morning Britain host Piers Morgan tweeted: "RIP Alfie Evans. My deepest condolences to his parents, who fought so hard for their brave little boy."

Apprentice supremo Lord Sugar posted: "RIP Alfie Evans . Sad day for his parents who fought so hard for him."

Sky News' Kay Burley added simply: "RIP Alfie Evans"

BBC Breakfast's Dan Walker said:" Very sad to hear about the death of little Alfie Evans. I hope his family are able to find some sort of peace after such a painful & public few weeks."

TV chef James Martin added: "RIP Alfie Evans"

Tory MP and leader of the House of Commons, Andrea Leadsom, tweeted: "So very sad to hear that Alfie Evans has passed away. My thoughts are with his parents and family who must be devastated.

"Grateful thanks to the hospital staff who did all they could for him in such terribly difficult circumstances".

Boxer and fellow Liverpudlian also tweeted his condolences to the little lad saying: "RIP Alfie Evans... A brave little soldier all the way to the end... Thoughts are with his mother & father today.. #RIPAlfieEvans."

Alfie died after receiving treatment at Liverpool's Alder Hey children's hospital where he had been in intensive care for more than a year suffering from a mystery brain condition.

The battling tot had surprised medics by breathing unaided with just oxygen, milk and water since life-support was withdrawn at 9.17pm on Monday.

His parents had asked well-wishers to pray as they kept a bedside vigil and posted pictures of him sleeping on mum Kate's chest as he clung to life.

Alfie's plight touched millions around the world and drew a personal intervention from the Pope as his parents lost a high-profile legal battle to keep him alive.

Supporters held protests in London, Belfast, Warsaw and the US after judges refused to let Alfie go to a hospital in Italy.

On Thursday evening supporters held a candlelit vigil at the Vatican - as Tom called for protests outside the hospital to end so Alfie's final days could be "dignified".

Emotions got high and supporters were in tense stand offs with police as they campaigned outside the hospital building.

But Tom pleaded with them to “return back to your everyday lives” after accepting the campaign was over and deciding to focus instead of trying to take Alfie home to die in peace.

He thanked medics for their "dignity and professionalism" and added: “Together we recognise the strains that recent events have put upon us all and we now wish for privacy for everyone concerned.

“In Alfie’s interests we will work with his treating team on a plan that provides our boy with the dignity and comfort he needs."

Tom also told Alfie's Army: "We are very grateful and we appreciate all the support we have received from around the world, including from our Italian and Polish supporters, who have dedicated their time and support to our incredible fight."