THE boyfriend of a 21-year-old student who was killed by a car in South London has paid a heartbreaking tribute to the "best person I know".

Charlotte Staplehurst was today named as the tragic woman who died in New Malden after paramedics were unable to save her.

Police and ambulance crews rushed to the scene in Coombe Road, New Maldon, shortly before midnight on Monday, but she died just 30 minutes later.

Devastated Harry Foster, 19, paid tribute to the Kingston University student on Instagram in a moving post.

He wrote: "Never in the world did i think i would be doing this. These are the types of situations you read about thinking this could never happen to someone you love."

"The times I spent with you were the best of my life and what I feel for you will never change."

Charlotte, who was from Eastbourne, is understood to have been studying pharmaceutical science at Kingston University.

Metropolitan Police today revealed Charlotte's identity and confirmed that her next-of-kin had been informed.

Harry, who posted a moving picture of the couple, continued in his post: "You were my world and no body could or will ever replace you.

"You are the best person I know I would not change a single part of who you are i am so sorry. I promise I will see you again. I love you Charlotte."

and sniffing them
The 27-year-old driver of the vehicle was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

He was taken to a south London police station for questioning and has since been released under investigation.

Officers from the Met’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit [SCIU] are appealing for any witnesses or anyone with dash cam footage to contact their incident room on 0208 543 5157 or call 101 quoting CAD 8304/13AUG.