THE mum of a six-year-old lad killed in house fire overnight made a desperate plea for help as she stood by unable to stop the blaze tearing through her home, neighbours say.

The deadly fire broke out around 10.40pm last night before ripping through the upper levels of the property in Ilkeston, Derbyshire.

Brave builder Jack Hill, 25, desperately tried to break down the nearly closed door from the black smoke-filled landing as the victim’s mum screamed "help me, help me".

Jack, reliving his ordeal, told Sun Online, said: "When I was first alerted to the fire and heard that a boy was trapped in his room I ran up the stairs which were virtually engulfed in smoke.

"The door was slightly ajar and I knew I needed a fire extinguisher so I raced to the Chinese restaurant on the corner. I got one and some wet towels then ran back up the stairs wrapped in the wet towel and used the extinguisher to try and smash down the door but I couldn’t manage to.

"I came back the stairs to grab something bigger and stronger and at that point the fire brigade arrived and I directed them to let the first floor room.

He explained: "I looked out the front and could see blue flashers everywhere and then I went to the back garden wondering if the smoke had travelled into my loft."

He added: "My heart goes out to that poor family. It’s dreadful."

Another neighbour, Elena Summerfield, 28, said: "It has ripped through the whole community. It’s tragic and heartbreaking what happened.

"I don’t know the family personally but we are all a close community.

"I went on the street when I heard the noise. She was devasted, I just tried to comfort her daughter, it’s all I could do. She is about 10-11. The mum is very friendly, they keep to themselves.

"All I want them to know is that we are here for you , you are not alone, you have a family here, all the street is with you."

In a statement, Derbyshire Constabulary today said: "We were called by Derbyshire Fire and Rescue to reports of a fire at house in Shaw Street West, Ilkeston, at 10.40pm last night.

"Firefighters entered the property and found a six-year-old boy with serious injuries. The boy was taken to QMC by ambulance, however, he was pronounced dead a short time later.

"Enquiries as to the cause of the fire are ongoing and a joint police and fire investigation will take place today.

"Anyone with any information regarding the incident should call Derbyshire police on the 101 number with ref 18*516997."

Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Firefighters using breathing apparatus and hose real jets entered the property and rescued a six-year-old boy, performing CPR until the arrival of paramedics.

"The boy was taken to the Queen's Medical Centre but was tragically pronounced deceased.