A DRUNKEN mum left her two young children asleep on a sofa surrounded by dirty nappies so she could go clubbing.

Kylie Taylor's four-year-old and two-year-old sons were left to fend for themselves in the family home, Bolton Crown Court heard.

After a neighbour called police, Taylor was tracked down to a nightclub in Bradshawgate just before 4am where she was described as being "intoxicated and somewhat unhelpful" by prosecutors.

Taylor, 31, initially claimed that her sons were with their mother, but they were found in the filthy property at 5am alone and asleep.

She later claimed the home was in such a state because she'd had an abortion only a week earlier.

Taylor, who no longer lives with her sons, is described as being "remorseful" over the incident.

The mum-of-two was spared jailed because her children were not physically harmed, the judge said.

Taylor had banged on a neighbour's door just after 3am on May 8, 2017, and asked them to call a taxi.

The taxi arrived but the neighbour phoned the police, the court heard.

Neil Fryman, prosecuting, said the neighbour was "concerned that the defendant was out at the time and the children might be home alone".

Police tracked Taylor down to McCauley's nightclub in Bradshawgate just before 4am.

Taylor initially attempted to trick police and said her children were with her partner or at his mother's home in Farnworth, but checks revealed they were home alone.

There were broken objects on the floor, no food in the kitchen and a toilet was overflowing when police arrived at 5am.

Five minutes later Taylor's partner, Dylan Fahy, arrived at the property and said he had left Taylor looking after the children.

Both parents were arrested but charges against Fahy were not proceeded with and allowed to lie on file.

Taylor pleaded guilty to child neglect.

She told police that she and Fahy had an argument and she had left the house thinking he was upstairs.

Virginia Hayton, defending, told the court that the children no longer live with Taylor, although she hopes to be reunited with them one day, and her relationship with Fahy is over.

Miss Hayton added that the criminal proceedings against her have been "a real wake up call" and that Taylor no longer drinks or takes illegal drugs.

Miss Hayton said: "Her main focus has been securing the welfare of the children.

"She wants to show the children she can be a good mother.

"She is remorseful.

"She knows she let the children down on this occasion.

"Thankfully, there was no physical harm."

Judge Graeme Smith sentenced Taylor to a community order for 12 months with conditions that she undertakes 60 hours of unpaid work and participates in 15 days of rehabilitation activities.

He told her: "Being a parent is an enormous responsibility.

"Very small areas of neglect can lead to devastating consequences.

"Having failed to carry out the responsibility of being a parent, you have lost that privilege."

He added that although it was a "reckless and foolish action" to go out without checking on the welfare of the children, they had not been physically harmed.