FIVE people were injured in a suspected gas blast that rocked a town centre last night.

The bomb squad were called in after a series of "almighty explosions" shook houses and sparked a huge fire in Batley, West Yorks.

West Yorkshire Fire Service confirmed five people suffered burns following the blasts in Hick Lane about 7pm on Wednesday.

One witness told the BBC he heard "a massive bang" and glass exploded 300 yards across the street.

He said: "I've never heard anything like it

"Then I saw two men exit the building covered in blood, smoking, obviously very shook up. It was like a war scene."

Zoe Palmer's kitchen wall was destroyed and she was dragged to safety through her window.

She told the Huddersfield Examiner: "I was sat on the sofa and my partner had just gone to Tesco and there was a big almighty explosion and the kitchen wall came through and the windows and some bloke dragged me through the window to get me out to help. I'm shaken".

West Yorkshire Police said four men aged between 35 and 39 were taken to hospital.

The age of the fifth casualty is not known.

Darren Walton, whose house overlooks the scene, said he heard "a loud bang, saw a blue flash and his house shook".

Residents living in nearby properties have been evacuated from the area.

A bomb disposal van was also seen heading at the scene of the explosion last night.

'BIG ALMIGHTY EXPLOSION'
Videos circulated online showed huge flames pouring out of the town centre flat and shards of glass strewn across the street.

Huge clouds of thick smoke could be seen billowing across the town centre.

One witness told The Sun Online: "I have never seen so many fire engines and police cars."

Charlotte Townsley tweeted: "Hope everything OK in Batley...the loudest bang I've ever heard."

Another resident tweeted: "Chaos all over Batley. Roads are clogging up. Heard the explosion, very close to it. Pretty scary!"

Tracy Brabin, Labour and Co-operative MP for Batley & Spen, said on Twitter: "My thoughts are with those who have been injured in the incident."

A police cordon is currently in place.

FIVE TAKEN TO HOSPITAL
A spokesman for West Yorkshire Police said: "Police and other emergency services are currently dealing with what is believed to be a gas explosion in the Batley area.

"Officers were called at 6.47pm to reports of a loud noise.

"A number of people have received burns and are currently being treated in hospital. It is not currently thought that anyone has suffered life threatening injuries."

Chief Inspector Wayne Horner said: "I understand that this will have caused concern amongst the community; residents can be reassured that Police along with our partners from the other emergency services are on scene dealing with the incident."

A spokesman for West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said five people had been taken to hospital.

They said: "Crews are currently dealing with an incident at the junction of Hick Lane and Bradford Road in Batley.

"They are working with Police, Ambulance and the local authority Emergency Planning Team to deal with an explosion in a two storey building, which is a block of converted flats.

"Five people have been treated and have now been transported to hospital.

"The fire is now out, and any remaining pockets of fire are being extinguished should they appear.

"The incident was initially attended by 10 fire engines however this is being reduced to five.

"Firefighters are likely to be on the scene overnight and there are some concerns over the structural stability of the building.

"The incident affected the one building and there have been no further evacuations. Investigations are continuing into the cause of the explosion."