THERE is love and there is Fabio Deitos’ appreciation for truffles.

The Oak Valley Truffles manager has been farming “gourmet mushrooms” for more than a decade, but never gets tired of one of the world’s most luxurious ingredients.

“I remember when I saw the first lump in the ground, I was hooked,” he said, recounting the first time he unearthed the pricey commodity, which fetches up to $3 per gram.

“I’ve always loved the smell. I can never get enough.”

Mr Deitos, whose Manjimup operation sells to chefs the world over, said the smell of his prized Perigord truffle was magic.

“It’s got an amazing aroma to it,” he said, admitting to keeping one in his ash tray.

“If you’re lucky enough to have a chef do it justice, it heightens the flavour of what you’re eating to a new level.”

Growers, chefs and foodies sharing Mr Deitos’ passion will converge on the South West this month, with the “black gold” to feature at the heart of Truffle Kerfuffle.

The weekend-long celebration will include demonstrations, truffle hunts, plenty of big names and a Festival Village at Fonty’s Pool in Manjimup.

It will run from June 22 to June 24.

For information, visit trufflekerfuffle.com.au.

Five truffle recipes:

1 - Truffle toastie: The black truffle can add a special touch to many meals and the toasted sandwich is definitely one of them. Truffles do well with creamy ingredients, and the cheese helps carry the flavour.

2 - Fresh truffle pizza: Pizza is a favourite and can be enjoyed year-round. Like the toasted sandwich, the warm creamy base helps heighten the truffle’s aroma.

3 -Truffle fettuccine: This favourite is the brainchild of Sue Hutchins at Shadow Wine Bar and includes truffle butter. For a bit of extra star power, the meal is garnished with egg yolk and shaved truffles.

4 - Walnut and truffle Negroni: The walnut and truffle Negroni is a winter warmer. It builds on what many consider the 2017 drink of choice with the addition of a truffle element balanced with the bitterness from the walnut infused gin and Campari.

5 - Truffle doughnut: This creation from The Heritage Wine Bar is a donut with black gold-infused crème patisserie, Southern Forests honey and Pottinger truffle. The donut is a Truffle Kerfuffle Festival Village exclusive.