A WOULD-be actor took a gruesome step to improve his career by cutting off his own arm so that he could more easily pose as a war veteran.

But the extreme move only landed him a handful of small, modest parts.

Todd Latourette told American broadcaster KOB4 that he cut off and cauterised his right arm roughly 17 years ago while he was off his medications.

Latourette, who claimed he is bipolar, played most recently played Skell in season 4, episode 5 of AMC’s Better Call Saul.

“I severed my hand with a skil saw,” Latourette said.

“The state of my mind was a psychotic episode.”

Latourette is back on his medication and says that living with the lie has been difficult, which is why he chose to come forward and admit to it now, despite the fact that it will likely hinder his acting career going forward.

“I was dishonourable. I’m killing my career by doing this, if anyone thinks this was for personal edification, that’s not the case,” he said.

“I’m ousting myself from the New Mexico Film Industry. And gladly so, just to say what I’ve said.”

Representatives for AMC did not immediately respond to Fox News’ request for comment on the matter.

Latourette, however, notes that he is not looking to be redeemed for what he’s done, but instead hopes that his story will help those who may be struggling with mental illness understand the gravity of taking their medication.

“The power is in your hands to take your medication in the morning, or at night,” he said.

“So that, this, this discourse of my life doesn’t need to necessarily be yours. Because, it happens quick... it happens quick.”