KEEPING up with the Joneses is one thing but keeping up with the Joosse’s is near impossible, at least when it comes to technology.

The family of five from northeast Sydney, live and breathe all things tech.

They’ve automated their house so that almost everything is activated without them having to flick a switch or even utter a word. It could be a science fiction movie, if it wasn’t real life.

When dad Malcolm, 47, or his wife Michelle, 44, enter the driveway a camera triggered by face and numberplate recognition opens the garage door and turns off the alarm system.

The same technology turns on the lights and music, while temperature and humidity sensors activate the houses’s heating and cooling system as well as heating the pool.

The sky surrounding their home often buzzes with one of Malcolm’s many drones and the entire family is decked out in smart watches and smart phones as well as having individual iPads and computers.

“All our kids are very techie,” said Malcolm who runs an IT services company and has passed his love of all things computer-powered onto kids Brady, 13, Mitchell, 11, and Alison, eight.

“They have their own Youtube channels and they have their own camera setups to do live streaming of their gaming.

“We’ve had to limit their computer consumption because it gets a bit out of hand so we’ve put a lot of boundaries in place to stop them getting this hardcore addiction.

“They’ll happily spend 10 hours per day playing games if they were given the chance.”

Naturally, the Joosse’s have had a 4K TV for a while, which Malcolm says they bought to “future-proof” their home.

“We’re always early adopters of technology but it’s to do with the picture quality and the sound quality ‘cos we enjoy watching TV and movies at home,” said Michelle.

“So it’s the fact that the 4k gives it a much better resolution and also audio. I don’t notice it so much when I’m watching it but if I then go and look at another TV set and then come back and look at mine you definitely can see the difference.”

But with minimal 4K TV and movies on offer to test out their device working at its optimum, the news Foxtel will soon be delivering a raft of 4K content was warmly received.

Up until now, the main benefit they’ve seen from the 4K screen is an improved image quality while gaming.

“In gaming is where at makes a difference because if you’re trying to shoot someone in a building far away, the higher the resolution and the clearer you can actually see someone there — rather than a couple of pixels — means it can make a significant difference,” said Malcolm.

So, how do Mr and Mrs Joosse discipline their kids in one of Australia’s most tech-savvy households?

Simple.

“We just turn off the internet,” said Michelle, with a mischievous grin.