Verne Troyer, who is best known for appearing in Austin Powers, has been admitted to hospital in Los Angeles.

It was reported that the Los Angeles City Fire Department was called to the actor's Hollywood home on Monday evening.

The 49-year-old's team posted on Instagram to assure fans Troyer was receiving "the best care possible" and "resting comfortably".

The post did not say what Troyer had been admitted for.

It's been reported that the actor is being kept in hospital for 72 hours for evaluation.

Troyer was hospitalised for alcohol addiction this time last year at which time he released a statement addressing his problems.

"I've been hearing from some concerned fans, so I'd like to address a very personal situation," Troyer said in a statement last April.

"As you know, I've battled alcohol addiction in the past and while it's not always been an easy fight, I'm willing to continue my fight day by day."

Troyer is best known for his role as Mini-Me in Austin Powers films and Griphook in the first Harry Potter film.

He has also made regular appearances on Celebrity Juice and starred in Keith Lemon's feature length film, Keith Lemon: The Film.