AN Aussie Rules star has hit out at "repulsive" social media comments from "animals" that have left her feeling "sexually abused" and fearing for her safety.

Australian broadcaster Channel Seven had posted a picture of Tayla Harris performing a high kick with the caption: "Great athlete at her most powerful."

But the post sparked a number of highly sexual comments with Kelly O'Dwyer, the federal minister for women, later condemning those posting.

The TV network also sparked more controversy by first deleting the image before reinstating it with an apology and a promise to ban trolls from the page.

They admitted that "removing the photo sent the wrong message".

Maybe this is the start of domestic violence.

In an interview with RSN radio on Wednesday, 21-year-old Harris, who is also a professional boxer, called on the AFL and even the police to take action.

She said: "If these people are saying things like this to someone they don't know on a public platform, what are they saying behind closed doors, and what are they doing?

"These people need to be called out by the AFL, yes, but also taken further. Maybe this is the start of domestic violence, maybe this is the start of abuse.

"The comments that I saw were sexual abuse, if you can call it that, because it was repulsive and it made me uncomfortable so as soon as I'm uncomfortable with something like that that's what I would consider sexual abuse on social media.

"So, whether it's Victoria police, whatever it is, need to at least contact these people, some sort of warning, Facebook delete them, something needs to happen.

"We can talk about it as much as we want but they're not listening and they are probably smiling about it."

FEARS FOR SAFETY
Harris went on to express concerns about her safety, saying she could be targeted by sexual predators in the future.

She said: "These people are behind screens now but no one's saying they aren't going to show up at the footy at the weekend.

"I genuinely consider that they might show up at the footy. If they're thinking this way and able to write it down, what are they going to do when I'm on sideline meeting some kids - that's what I'm going to have to think about now.

"As much it shouldn't be the case at all, that's the reality of it."

HARRIS HITS BACK
Her social media responses also drew huge admiration from fans.

On Twitter Harris posted: "Here’s a pic of me at work... think about this before your derogatory comments, animals."

While in an Instagram post, she wrote: "My hamstring is OK but derogatory and sexist comments aren’t."

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said: "It's more a challenge with the platform, social media, because this is not an isolated incident.

"But when it's unacceptable commentary, more and more people are calling that out and that is what has happened here."

McLachlan added that he hoped the picture would become iconic.

"It is, I think, a remarkable photo which shows a great athlete at her most powerful, doing what she does, which is kick the ball 50 meters," he said.