Champion Australian boxer Anthony Mundine says he cried following news of last week’s Christchurch terror shootings and called for unity in the face of crimes motivated by religion.

Mundine, one of the country’s highest profile Muslims, said he was left stunned by vision of Friday’s attacks which targeted innocent worshippers during Friday prayers.

“After it sat and resonated with me, I just welled up with tears,” he told The Daily Telegraph.

“It is just so sad. I am still yet to come to terms with it.”

The 43-year-old said the shootings were an “atrocity” which offered “a little insight into the life of Muslims”.

He said: “Just like how this guy doesn’t reflect most of white society, the Islamic community is not represented by a few bad eggs - unfortunately that’s not what you read in the media.”

“Islam is not us versus them. The media and our political leaders have divided everybody, as far as race and faith, for their own benefit.”

Following the attack, which claimed 50 lives and left dozens more injured, Mundine took to social media to say his “heart goes out to the innocent victims”.

“I am deeply saddened and disturbed by today’s horrific act of terrorism,” he posted.

“Innocent people carrying out their (Jumu’ah) prayers peacefully have their lives cut short.

“Please keep the victims, their loved ones and all of humanity in your prayers.”

Mundine said education was needed to eliminate violence and said he’d be keen to get involved with uniting rallies.

“We need to educate the next generation about the truth of Islam,” he told the Daily Telegraph.

“If we can come together as a society and try to understand each other better, we will start to see change.”