AMAZON is trying to clean up its reputation by unleashing a small army of Twitter fanatics to praise the company.

The tech giant has built a creepy online community of warehouse staff who defend Amazon's notoriously brutal working conditions.

These workers reply to complaints about Amazon's warehouse jobs, declaring the punishing conditions as a myth.

The mysterious online sect was first spotted by Twitter user Flamboyant Shoes Guy, later detailed by TechCrunch, and then confirmed by Amazon to The Sun.

Every single account has a Twitter bio in the exact same format: [Job title] @ [Warehouse Location]. [Length of service] Amazonian. [List of things they like outside of work].

And all of their accounts link out to a website for Amazon warehouse tours.

One account responded to a Twitter user who complained that "a good number of Amazon employees are on food stamps" – a benefits scheme to help low-income people afford food.

Amazon's "Shaye" replied: "I work at one in [Texas] and can assure you – not on food stamps/never have been.

"In fact, I know a LOT of the people in this warehouse & have yet to meet one who is.

"We receive good pay and a generous benefits package. Lots of ops to move up into even higher paying jobs too."

There are at least 15 Twitter accounts who make up this online propaganda squad, all of which have the Amazon Smile logo as their Twitter header.

They all claim to work in Amazon fulfilment centres – warehouses where your package deliveries come from.

Amazon's "Phil" told one user: "I work in an Amazon FC in WA and our wages and benefits are very good.

"Amazon pays [Fulfilment Centre] employess ~30% more than traditional retail stores and offers full medical benefits from day 1.

"Working conditions are very good- clean/well lit – safety is a top priority at my facility!"

Some of the ambassadors are particularly fanatical.

One Twitter user complained that it was difficult for workers themselves to improve Amazon's business practices.

Amazon's "Carol" was quick to hit back at the tweet, praising billionaire Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, whose £112billion net worth generated through his online retail empire makes him the richest human on Earth.

She wrote: "I can safely say that none of MY ideas have panned out anywhere near what Jeff Bezos has accomplished.

"I am more than happy, though, to continue working here, at BFI4, in WA. I receive a (more than fair) wage and work with some really good people. Making history, every day."

It's not clear how much of what these workers are tweeting are their own opinions, or at the behest of Amazon.

It's also not clear if the workers are using their real names, and whether or not their claimed hobbies and interests are real.

Speaking to The Sun, an Amazon spokesperson confirmed that the ambassadors have worked in fulfilment centres, but now perform their online shilling duties full time.

"FC ambassadors are employees who have experience working in our fulfilment centres," the spokesperson explained.

"The most important thing is that they’ve been here long enough to honestly share the facts based on personal experience.

"It’s important that we do a good job of educating people about the actual environment inside our fulfillment centres, and the FC ambassador program is a big part of that along with the fulfilment center tours we provide.

"Those tours enable thousands of customers every year to come and see for themselves what it’s like to work inside one of our fulfilment centres."

Amazon added that employees receive the same compensation and benefits as they did during their warehouse roles.

The Twitter propaganda push is clearly an effort to improve Amazon's poor reputation.

Amazon has regularly been the target of complaints from workers over so-called "abusive treatment" – including FACE, a group of former staffers dedicated to lobbying Amazon to clean up its act.

In 2011, a total of 19 Amazon workers spoke to Pennsylvania's Morning Call about having to working in extreme heat, and undergo strenuous workloads.

Then in 2013, the Daily Mail exposed Amazon for GPS tagging employees.

A Channel 4 documentary at the same time captured secret footage documenting worker abuses, and called warehouse work practices "horrendous and exhausting".

In November 2016, the BBC produced an undercover report that found some delivery drivers were having to break speed limits and go to the toilet in their vans to save time.

It also emerged that some drivers were being paid £2.59 an hour after deducations, less than half the UK's minimum wage.

The next month, workers at the Dumfermline, Scotland fulfilment centre were pictured camping outside the warehouse in the winter to avoid commuting costs.

Then in December 2017, a report by the Sunday Mirror suggested Amazon drivers will still making less than the minimum wage after paying for van hire and insurance.

In a statement about workplace conditions, an Amazon spokesperson told The Sun: "Amazon provides a safe and positive workplace for thousands of people across the UK with competitive pay and benefits from day one.

"We have a focus on ensuring we provide a great environment for all our employees and Amazon was recently named by LinkedIn as the 7th most sought after place to work in the UK and ranked first place in the US.

"Amazon also offers public tours of its fulfilment centres so customers can see first-hand what happens after they click “buy” on Amazon by visiting uk.amazonfctours.com.

"The scanning devices we use are common across the warehouse and logistics sector as well as in super markets, department stores and other businesses, and are designed to assist our people in preforming their roles. We do not use GPS to monitor people’s location in our fulfilment centers or for any other purpose.

"Our delivery providers are contractually obligated to ensure drivers they engage receive the National Living Wage and are expected to pay a minimum of £12 per hour, follow all applicable laws and driving regulations and drive safely. Allegations to the contrary do not represent the great work done by around 100 small businesses generating thousands of work opportunities for delivery drivers across the UK."

What's your take on Amazon: friendly tech giant, or evil corporation bent on world domination? Let us know in the comments!