MOTORISTS are risking hefty penalties by not strapping their dogs in when transporting them in cars.

Almost half of Brit drivers don't use correct restraints for their pets, creating a potential danger on the road, according to a new study.

Conducted by Ford, the poll of 1,000 dog-owning drivers revealed 45 per cent don't secure their pets every time they drive.

And more than half of those allow their pets to roam free in the vehicle on every single journey.

Drivers can be fined up to £5,000 and insurance claims can be invalidated if pets are not safely restrained in the vehicle.

Motorists don't just risk a hefty penalty for the offence, either.

Pets roaming freely in your vehicle can act as a distraction, potentially putting other road users in danger and increasing your chance of having an accident.

Experts estimate that if a car crashes at a speed of 25mph (40 km/h), an unrestrained dog can develop projection forces 40 times that of its weight - posing a risk to the driver and any passengers.

The survey found 29 per cent of drivers said their dog "doesn’t like being strapped down" or crated during a drive, and 25 per cent claimed it was "pointless" on a short journey.

Another 17 per cent said they could not fit a dog crate – recognised as one of the safest ways to transport pets – into their car.

The study also found over a third of dog owners have been distracted by their pet when they’re meant to be paying attention to the road

One in four dog owners even admitted they have considered the fact that driving with their dog unsecured could potentially put their lives at risk – but do it anyway.

And a tenth have had a near miss while driving because their dog distracted them, according to the research conducted through OnePoll.

Ford commissioned the study following the development of the all-new Focus estate, which was designed to accommodate the biggest possible dog crate.

The large boot in the popular wagon is able to hold a crate large enough to even carry an Irish Wolfhound, the world’s tallest breed of dog.

Ford engineer Rene Berns enlisted the help of his Australian Shepherd, Emil, to help design the Focus to fit the giant "dogbox".

Berns said: “Most people would be heartbroken if anything ever happened to their beloved dog – and nobody expects to crash.

“But it is vital that, for everyone’s benefit, full safety precautions are taken when transporting our four-legged friends.

“I know how much it means to me to be able to take Emil with me wherever I am going, and I’m proud that he has helped make that easier for other dog owners and their pets to travel safely and in comfort."

Graeme Hall, dog training expert, said: “If you have a pet, please think of its safety the way you would any other member of the family.

“I always carry my dog Lily in the boot in her crate. She can comfortably move around and everyone’s safe. I believe that’s the best solution.”