ALMOST 100,000 people in Britain applied for Irish passports in 2018 as the consequences of Brexit became clearer.

Figures from the Department of Foreign Affairs show a 22 per cent rise over the 2017 figures to a total of 98,544 applications from Britain.

And there were another 84,855 applications from Northern Ireland, a two per cent increase.

Overall, 822,581 passports were issued — including 6,500 in one day alone.

And with models showing there are currently 2.1million people in the UK entitled to Irish passports, a source said: “There is an anticipation of even more demand.”

The modelling points to a “significant increase” over the coming years with an extra 300,000 to be taken out in 2019 overall — many of these expected from the UK.

The process was made easier in 2018 via the Online Passport Renewal Service which was expanded to include children’s passports.

More than 1,000 applications have been completed via this method so far.

Foreign Affairs Minister Simon Coveney pointed to faster turnaround times of ten working days for all online applications, excluding postage delivery time.

In addition, the cost of renewing a passport online is cheaper than alternative methods, with adults costing €75 and children €20.

The Tanaiste explained: “It is important that the Passport Service continues to use technology in order to gain efficiencies and deliver the best possible service to the citizen.

“This expanded service is an example of that, and will permit all citizens — both adults and children — to renew their passports online, 24/7, from anywhere in the world.”

With over 7,000 passports reported lost or stolen in 2018, the Tanaiste also reminded all Irish citizens to take care with their documents.

He said: “The Irish passport is a valuable document. My Department continues to strengthen all processes to prevent fraud and maintain its integrity and security.

“I strongly encourage all citizens to take due care with their passport at home and when travelling. Citizens may also wish to consider applying for the convenient credit-card sized Passport Card.

“Citizens who plan to renew their passport in 2018 are strongly encouraged to do so online and in the off-peak period, to ensure the shortest possible renewal time.

“The range of channels through which passport applications can be made is available on my Department’s website at dfa.ie/passport”