She’s too gullible to be guilty.

The girlfriend involved in the New Jersey GoFundMe scandal claims her two cohorts used her because she is “naive” — and that they took advantage of her kindness.

“I was set up by Mr. D’Amico and Mr. Bobbitt,” said Kate McClure, speaking through her lawyer on Friday in regards to her boyfriend, Mark D’Amico, and a homeless man, Johnny Bobbitt, who were in on the alleged scam.

“Mr. D’Amico knew that I was a very kind person and that I was a bit naive,” Ms McClure, 28, said. “Mr. D’Amico took advantage of that.”

The woman’s lawyer, James Gerrow, said she is no longer dating Mr D’Amico and has refused to take his phone calls. theNew York Postreported.

The Florence Township couple is accused of raising — and then pocketing — $367,108.81 (AU$503,374) through a GoFundMe campaign they created in November 2017 for Mr Bobbitt.

The couple claimed that Ms McClure had run out of gas on a highway and Bobbitt helped her out by using his last $20 to put gas in her tank. But it was apparently all a hoax.

“[McClure] did not run out of gas … and [Bobbitt] did not spend his last $20 to help her,” charged Burlington County prosecutor Scott Coffina on Thursday. “Rather, D’Amico, McClure and Bobbitt conspired to fabricate and promote a feel-good story that would compel donors to contribute to their cause.”

The trio has been charged with deception and conspiracy to commit theft by deception, which carry a combined sentence of five to 10 years.

Ms McClure’s family plans to stick by her side no matter happens. Her father, Bill, spoke to reporters outside their house Friday, and noted that his wife feels the same way. “Kelly and I are fully supportive of our daughter,” he explained. “She’s doing as best as she can.”

Ms McClure’s claims about being set up and used are similar to the story given by Joyce Mitchell, the prison seamstress who pleaded guilty to helping two murderers escape from Clinton Correctional Facility in upstate Dannemora. Mitchell later said in interviews that inmates David Sweat and Richard Matt took advantage of her friendliness and depressed mental state, which she called her “weakness.”