ALFIE Lamb’s mum texted her boyfriend accused of crushing her three-year-old son to death to say cops "know we’re lying", a court heard today.

Stephen Waterson, 25, is accused of deliberately ramming his seat against Alfie because he wouldn’t stop crying on the way home to Croydon, South London.

Waterson, the adoptive son of former Tory cabinet minister Nigel Waterson, claims he has no idea how Alfie died but insists it had nothing to do with the car seat.

His girlfriend Adrian Hoare, 23, was in the back seat with Alfie and Hoare said he looked upon the boy as his son.

Waterson told the Old Bailey he lied to police after the incident because he was worried that he would get in trouble because the driver of the car, Marcus Lamb, had been disqualified.

He told emergency operators he had been driving by and stopped to help try and revive Alfie.

The couple then claimed Alfie had been injured in a taxi which had driven off.

Duncan Atkinson, prosecuting, asked him: “Was it that 'Plan A', the first lie, was not working that prompted you to go to the hospital?”

A message sent from Hoare to Waterson just hours after the incident at 8.07pm on February 2 of last year was read to the jury.

It said: “They know that we are lying.”

Mr Atkinson added: “Even before you had reached the hospital you did not know what lies she had told the police, you were trying to get her alone and away from the police.”

Waterson answered: “No-one was allowed in the room with Alfie, Alfie was with doctors.

ADMITTED LYING
“I did not know what lies she had told the police. Is it a crime to be alone with your partner?

“I have already admitted lying in the beginning, I have pleaded guilty to it, lies were told, I did not want to get anyone in trouble.”

Two days after Alfie was injured Waterson went in search of a new car.

Mr Atkinson asked him: “Is it a coincidence then is it that as Alfie was going from fit and well to unconscious and dying that you started trying to sell it?”

Waterson replied: “I sold it because I felt sick every time I got in the car.

“Why? Because the boy I looked on as a son had died in the backseat of it.”

Alfie died three days after suffering a cardiac arrest outside the home he shared with the couple.

Hoare and Waterson deny manslaughter.

Hoare also denies charges of child cruelty for placing Alfie in the footwell and common assault on Ms Williams on February 14.

Waterson further denies intimidating Marcus Lamb, also known as Marcus Richardson, on February 15.

But Hoare and Waterson have admitted perverting the course by submitting false statements to police.

The trial continues.