THE parents of tragic Alfie Evans are celebrating the arrival of their baby boy, months after losing their beloved son.

Kate James, 20, gave birth last month. He is believed to be named Thomas after dad Tom Evans, 21.

Liverpool tot Alfie died of a brain disease in April aged 23 months.

Alfie Evans’ parents went to “hell and back” battling to keep their tragic son alive — and are now overjoyed at the arrival of a new baby boy.

Kate James, 20, and her partner Tom Evans, 21, had vowed they would not be broken after Alfie’s death from a degenerative brain disease in April.

She gave birth on August 8 and their baby son, believed to be named Thomas, is said to be doing very well.

A source said: “Kate and Tom have been to hell and back over the past 12 months as they battled in vain to keep Alfie alive.

“They tried everything they could and it tore them apart.

“They have been left devastated by Alfie’s passing, but also vowed that they would carry on living for their son and are determined his death won’t break them.

“Kate knew she was pregnant in Alfie’s final few weeks and wanted to keep it quiet so she could give her all to Alfie.

“She and Tom are delighted with their new arrival. He’s doing a great job of giving them something to focus on while they grieve.

“It’s obviously tinged with sadness though as they know Alfie would have been a fantastic big brother, if only he’d managed to survive.”

Alfie’s parents, from Liverpool, launched a legal bid to keep him alive after doctors applied to turn off his life support.

Tom even flew to Rome to see Pope Francis when doctors in Italy offered to treat Alfie.

Hundreds of supporters — dubbed “Alfie’s Army” — also laid siege to Liverpool’s Alder Hey Children’s Hospital.

But his life support was switched off despite pleas at the High Court, Court of Appeal, Supreme Court and European Court of Human Rights.

Alfie died 100 hours later, with devastated Tom announcing on Facebook: “My gladiator lay down his shield and gained his wings.

“Absolutely heartbroken. I love you my guy.”

Pope Francis tweeted afterwards: “I am deeply moved by the death of little Alfie. I pray especially for his parents as God the Father receives him in his tender embrace.”

Both Kate and Tom carry a rare gene which sparked Alfie’s illness, so there were fears Thomas could inherit the same condition. But the three-week-old boy is understood to have passed a series of tests at hospital.

The source added: “Kate and Tom have ensured the new baby has had the necessary checks and so far the doctors are cautiously optimistic about his prognosis.

“They think he’s fine so they’re very relieved.”