THERE was a lull in his typically hectic day, so this airport worker set himself a cheeky challenge.

Brimming with ambition, he grasped an orange-and-white cone and attempted to throw it on top of another one that was sitting on the tarmac a couple of metres away.

He swung it and then let go, waiting in anticipation as it whisked through the air. Then, the unimaginable happened: The cone effortlessly slid over the top of the other cone. Yessssss!

Despite seemingly having his eyes on the prize, the worker appeared shocked when he actually achieved the feat. He threw his hands up in the air and performed a hilarious and ecstatic victory dance, before dramatically jumping into the back of a vehicle.

This was all captured on camera by an amused passenger, who giggled as she watched on from behind the window inside the airport.

The footage of the airport worker, taken by Sofia Troncosco, has gone viral and has been viewed more than five million times so far. It was posted on Facebook along with the caption: “This is why my flights take so long to board”.

There has been a mixed reaction to it, however, with some loving his enthusiasm and others cheekily questioning whether stunts like that were the real reason behind their flight delays.

“Dude’s living his best life,” one Facebook user wrote in response to the video.

Another said: “Damn, that was the happiest day of his life.”

“The happiness this man feels right now, as he thinks nobody sees him, makes me incredibly happy,” one social media user pointed out.

It was also noted just how lucky it was that the passenger managed to film the special moment.

“So lucky that was caught on camera. I hate when you do something cool like that and no one notices.”

But was it really lucky, or could it have repercussions for the worker?

“Probably got fired after that — can’t throw the cones,” one person claimed.

This was backed up by former airport worker, who said: “I was a gate agent for a bit, and there’s just a huge amount of rules when you’re on the tarmac and dealing with aircraft engines, machinery that can easily catch loose fabric, a lot of traffic moving around between aircraft tugs, fuelling trucks, baggage carts, etc.

“Definitely not trying to be a Debbie downer, I don’t see anything wrong with it myself, but I do know how ‘by the book’ airlines can be, especially with all the scrutiny they face now.”

The responses suggesting that perhaps moments like these are why flights get delayed were shot down by most.

“This is definitely why my flight was delayed the other week,” one Facebook user wrote.

Another retorted: “This ramp guy has nothing to do with the boarding process of any flight. Speaking as a flight attendant. He has some mad skills though.”

Another noted: “I’m sure the passengers would rather watch him than the FA (flight attendant) doing the pre-flight safety thing. Particularly those who are frequent flyers.”

“I mean I work in an airport and they have basketball hoops out on the ramps for when it’s really slow … same with a grill — and sometimes they’ll even play some football on the ramp.”

Ultimately, it put a smile on our faces.

“That’s a nice way to start a flight.” Indeed