TERROR cops are investigating after a woman brandishing a foot-long knife screamed "kill kill kill" before stabbing a man in a broad daylight knife rampage this morning.

Terrified shoppers locked themselves in stores as the attacker — described as 6ft tall and wearing a headscarf — chased the victim today in Barnsley, South Yorks.

Police locked down the town centre just as market traders and shops were opening for the Saturday morning rush.

Cops were scrambled to the scene at about 8.20am following reports that a man had been stabbed.

Craig Ward, 42, saw the woman stop near his flower stall and pull out the huge blade.

He said: "She was walking past and threw her bag on the floor then pulled the knife out and started chasing a bloke up Market Hill - she was screaming "kill, kill, kill."

Mr Ward added: "Then she came back down the hill for her bag - I heard she started going after a window cleaner after that.

"She was a massive woman - six feet tall.

"It was very frightening to see a woman running around with a knife stabbing random people."

Another witness Paul Cooke saw a man in his 50s with grey hair taking his jacket off while saying "someone's trying to stab me".

Assistant Chief Constable Tim Forber revealed this afternoon that terror cops were involved in the investigation.

He said: "We understand that this morning's incident will have been distressing and shocking for those in the town centre and wider Barnsley communities - rest assured we are working relentlessly to piece together what happened.

"A kitchen knife has been recovered by officers and is being forensically examined.

"At this stage, we are keeping an open mind as to the motivation.

"The investigation is being led by South Yorkshire Police by we are receiving support from detectives at Counter Terrorism Policing North East. It is not appropriate to speculate further".

He added that football supporters at Barnsley Football Club will notice an increased police presence at a match this afternoon and asked for the public to remain vigilant.

Postman Paul, 47, was helping set up his partner's stall at the time of the knife attack.

He said: "All of a sudden there was a woman with a knife shouting 'kill, kill, kill.'

"She went directly for him as he ran off towards the Town Hall but she couldn't catch him so she came back for her bag.

"Then she ran off in the other direction and then I saw her running back towards us chasing someone else.

"I was on the phone to police by this point describing what I was seeing - it was scary."

Hero market trader Abdul Razzaq, 43, has told how he tackled the woman during the terrifying scenes.

Abdul confronted the woman as she stalked the busy streets having just stabbed one man in the shoulder.

He told how he followed the woman before telling police where she was in Barnsley's railway station.

The 43-year-old then talked her into putting down the knife before police swooped and arrested her.

Abdul said the woman had taken a foot-long knife out of its box and thrown the packaging near his stall.

He said: "I ran for this lady and she was saying 'kill, kill, kill, kill' - everybody was scared. Everybody ran.

"I followed this lady. I said 'don't touch anybody'.

“I said 'you're a terrorist' and she said I'm no terrorist.

"I said you're a terrorist because you do this — I said why do you attack the people and she just said "kill people, kill people'."

Abdul followed the woman around the town centre as dozens of shoppers fled — before telling police she had run to the bus station.

Scared early morning shoppers took refuge inside stores and took to social media to warn friends and family to stay away.

One man tweeted: "Mam’s just called, she’s in Barnsley locked in M&S as there is a woman running around town with a knife... anyone in or heading to town take car!"

He said: “I said 'that's the lady' - she still had the knife and said 'kill, kill, kill.

"The police say 'leave this knife' - police were a little bit scared. I'm not scared - I'll go near to this lady.

"I said 'nobody's going to touch you - leave this knife'."

Abdul said the police tackled the woman to the floor as she put the knife down.

Witnesses in Barnsley Interchange train station said they saw officers rushing around the area at around 8am.

Hannah Fuller, 24, who works at a nearby Subway sandwich shop, said officers rushed towards the railway platform and businesses had been forced to close for an hour.

She said: "We had to close for an hour - Peel Street was closed. The police haven't told us anything."

South Yorkshire Police said on Twitter: "BREAKING: There is a high visibility police presence in #Barnsley town centre this morning (Saturday 8 September) responding to a serious incident.

"More information will follow. Public are asked to be vigilant and report any concerns to 101."

They later confirmed a man had been stabbed — and one suspect had been arrested.

Police are now on the hunt for potential accomplices as they look to establish whether the attacker "acted alone".

Cordons are in place and there was police activity around a bin inside a cordon in Peel Square near Supernews newsagent and the Alhambra Shopping Centre.

A man in a forensic suit was seen looking into the bin with what appeared to be a mirror.

In a statement South Yorkshire Police said: "Police were called at around 8.20am this morning following reports that a man had been stabbed in Barnsley town centre.

"Police then received numerous further reports of an individual in the town centre with a knife.

"One person has been arrested in connection with the incident and is in police custody.

"One man suffered minor injuries. No other injuries have been reported at this time.

"There are several scenes in place and a high visibility police presence in Barnsley town centre, while initial enquiries take place to understand the circumstances surrounding this morning's incident.

"An investigation is now underway and in its early stages to establish whether this is an isolated incident and whether the individual acted alone.

"The public are asked to be vigilant and report any suspicious activity by calling 101, or 999 if a crime is in progress or a life is at risk.

"Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to call 101 by quoting incident number 246 of 8 September 2018."

A representative for Travel South Yorkshire said that the station was open as normal and there were no reported delays to trains or coaches.