PLAGUE Stone and Paret are arguably the most exciting young horses competing at Rosehill Gardens on Saturday — but both will test the considerable skills of their rider, Hugh Bowman.

The champion jockey rode both to impressive last-start wins that seemed to signal each was now ready to realise their potential.

On the evidence of those efforts, it was no surprise TAB Fixed Odds price assessors rated Plague Stone the $2.60 favourite for the Listed $150,000 Smithfield RSL Club Rosebud (1100m), while Paret is also a $2.60 favourite for the ClubsNSW Handicap (1350m).

In particular, Plague Stone’s comeback win in the Rosebud Prelude at Randwick last month was exceptional as he ran the 1000m in a fast 56.84sec — including a brilliant final 600m sectional of 32.66sec.

Bowman said the Godolphin three-year-old colt “certainly has class” but he also had a cautionary tone in his voice when interviewed by The Daily Telegraph on Saturday.

“It is important Plague Stone relaxes,’’ Bowman said. “At times he has wanted to overdo it in his races.

“At Randwick first-up he didn’t get the chance to do that as it was over 1000m and I’d like to think over 1100m (Saturday) it will be the same.

“I just want things to go smoothly in the early part of the race as it was such a positive run from him first-up.

“He is an exciting horse and I know the stable has a huge opinion of him.’’

Plague Stone, a striking colt by super sire Lonhro, had been winless in his first four starts earlier in his juvenile season but had shown glimpses of real talent — including a luckless half-length second to Written By in a Blue Diamond Prelude.

Godolphin’s head trainer James Cummings said this week Plague Stone had continued to work well since his breakthrough when resuming on July 21.

“Plague Stone has been ‘bottled’ up and held together as we proceed second-up to the Rosebud,’’ Cummings said.

“He continues to look very sharp since his strong win over five furlongs (1000m) a few weeks ago and he looks set to let down strongly again in what looks another suitable race early in his campaign.’’

When asked about Paret, Bowman’s view was remarkably similar to his assessment of Plague Stone.

Paret, a four-year-old gelding from the Chris Waller stable, has always had a boom on him but he struggled to deliver last autumn. His two runs back this campaign have been encouraging.

At Rosehill four weeks ago, Paret resumed with a fast-finishing third to Star Of Monsoon over 1200m before stepping up to 1400m on July 28 when he scored a comfortable win in a late season three-year-old race.

Paret was entered for two races at Rosehill on Saturday but Bowman and Waller consulted before deciding to start him over the 1350m course.

“Chris and I had a chat and we thought even though the shorter race might be a bit stronger, it will probably suit Paret more,’’ Bowman explained.

“Paret’s in the same boat as Plague Stone and, again, it is important things go right for him in the early stages of the race. He has always shown raw ability from an early age and his win the other day was very good.

“In staying that, he settled well and the race set up nicely for him.

“Once he settles like that, you know he has an excellent turn of foot. He has the engine, it is just a matter of harnessing that power.’’

Bowman has an outstanding book of rides at Rosehill — including the three shortest-priced favourites on the card.

Aside from Plague Stone and Paret, the champion jockey also partners $2.25 favourite Tactical Advantage in the Campbelltown Catholic Club Handicap (1100m).

Tactical Advantage also goes to Rosehill off a dominant last-start win when he romped away with the July Sprint at Randwick three weeks ago.

The Kris Lees-trained Tactical Advantage goes down in grade but goes up 7kg and will carry 61kg on Saturday.

Bowman’s other rides include promising Table Mountain, a $3.60 chance in the TAB Highway (1100m); Sweet Scandal ($4.40) is shooting for a fourth consecutive win in the Dooleys Handicap (1400m); and Estikhraaj ($5) in the Fairfield RSL Handicap (2000m).

I Am Coldplay, Bowman’s mount in the Canterbury Hurlstone Park RSL Spring Preview (1400m) is rated only a $12 chance for her Australian debut but she is definitely a mare to watch closely.

She is a multiple stakes winner up to Group 2 level in New Zealand, her best form is around the 1400-1600m distance range, and she has performed well first-up previously.

I Am Coldplay is now with the Chris Waller stable and has been given easy trials — including over 800m at Rosehill last Tuesday.