GEELONG superstar Patrick Dangerfield will continue to draw on a first-year conversation with former Adelaide teammate Simon Goodwin to drive the Cats' youngsters this pre-season.

An "impatient" Dangerfield returned for his 12th pre-season with fellow senior members this week, aware that the clock is ticking on his quest for a maiden premiership.

While identifying senior players as crucial to grasping clutch moments in 2019, Dangerfield said it was time for the younger players to mount pressure on spots this summer.

"I'm an impatient person, and all our leaders are because they understand that the end is closer than the beginning," Dangerfield said of the hunt for a flag on Tuesday.

"It's about getting on our bike and being successful again quickly.

"It's a hard message sometimes to drill into younger players that are first starting out because I remember being in a room with (former Adelaide star) Simon Goodwin.

"He said, 'Enjoy the ride and make sure you're impatient because it just races', and this is year 12 for me and all of sudden the mortality of it ending eventually is a reality.

"It's important that our younger players aren't patient, they're not waiting for an opportunity. They've got to earn it and that happens now.

"Spots are up for grabs, you put your hand up by training your backside off, executing and forcing the coaches to pick you.
Dangerfield, 28, is still yet to feature in an AFL decider, having played in one losing preliminary final for Adelaide (2012) and two for Geelong (2016 and 2017).

It was a Goodwin-coached Melbourne side that knocked Dangerfield and the Cats out in the elimination final this year, their earliest finish to a season since 2015.

With eight potential debutants selected by Geelong this off-season, there will be no shortage of enthusiasm to push the Cats' senior contingent.

Dangerfield said the Cats would continue to encourage second-year midfielder Tim Kelly to further heights in 2019 after his trade request to West Coast was denied in October.

"He's a pro, Tim. He understood the situation and I think he's handled himself really well," Dangerfield said.

"We had our (medical) screening day yesterday and everyone was glad to see him again.

"We expect him, and he expects himself, to go to another level again and we have to make sure we can provide the environment to do that."

Dangerfield wouldn't be drawn on his potential involvement in AFLX – he is mooted as one of four captains for a new-look tournament in February.

"It's still very early days with AFLX and the potential concepts and what might happen next year," he said.

"I'm not fully across it but I think over the next couple of weeks they'll start to get something set in stone and build the excitement around it."

Defender Lachie Henderson took part in most drills but also ran laps on his own at times, returning from a season he finished on the park after three knee surgeries.

Recruits Luke Dahlhaus and Gary Rohan had their biggest sessions of the pre-season, while Scott Selwood moved freely, hoping for his first injury-free summer for a number of years.

Third-year forward Esava Ratugolea (ankle), who has been back at training for a fortnight, had his biggest session to date, ramping up running with Wylie Buzza (foot).

The rehab group also included Lachie Fogarty, Ryan Abbott and Jamaine Jones, while Jed Bews ran countless laps as he works back from post-season shoulder surgery.

Speedster Nakia Cockatoo was a notable absentee, recovering from having his tonsils removed following discomfort in recent weeks.

Mature-age draftees Tom Atkins and Darcy Fort joined in parts of the session, while local products Oscar Brownless and Blake Schlensog watched on with their families as part of a club induction.

Interstate draftees are expected at the club in the coming days before they are unveiled later in the week.

The club's second-to-fourth year players will head down the coast over the next three days for a leadership and bonding camp in Lorne.