Britain's Heather Watson won the second WTA Tour title of her career on Saturday, beating American qualifier Madison Brengle in the Hobart International final.

In doing so, she becomes the first British woman since Anne Hobbs in 1985 to claim two Tour titles in her career.

Watson recovered from 3-1 down in the first set to win 6-3 6-4 and complete an ideal week of preparation for the Australian Open, which gets under way on Monday.

Brengle had to battle her way through seven matches in qualifying and the main draw to reach her first WTA final and she pushed her friend Watson, who was forced to save 11 break points in her first two service games.

The 12th saw the American claim the first break of the match when Watson double faulted but it was just one of five in the set and her opponents' superior net play helped her claim the opening set in blustery conditions.

Brengle continued to struggle with a blistered right hand in the second set, with 21 of her 34 unforced errors coming on her forehand.

Watson made the most of Brengle's injury and claimed the only break of the set for a 4-3 lead and three games later was serving for the match, which she secured when Brengle went wide with a backhand.

The 22-year-old won her maiden title in Osaka at the end of the 2012 season, ending a 24-year wait for a British female champion, and bounced back from an injury-blighted 2013 by climbing back into the top 50 last season.

The world No 49 meets Bulgaria's Tsvetana Pironkova in the opening round in Melbourne and her win in Hobart should will see her rise close to her career-best ranking of 39 from February 2013.

"I've enjoyed my time here so, so much and I'd love to come back here again next year," Watson told the crowd in the presentation ceremony.

"I know it hasn't been superb weather for tennis but you've definitely made it fun for us."