Saha has been a revelation at the top of the order for the new-comers, his half-century helping GT in securing a top-two finish. ©BCCI
Deep into the IPL 2022 mega auctions, Gujarat Titans were the only side that was yet to pick even one keeper-bat. They waited until the last couple of hours on the second day to go upto INR 1.9 Cr for Wriddhiman Saha, but also loosened what was left of their purse strings for an overseas option in Matthew Wade (at INR 2.4 Cr).

Fast forward past 13 league games in Gujarat's maiden season, and Saha has found a way to fit their batting plans like a glove. Even as Wade started ahead of him, keeping the senior Indian pro on the bench for five fixtures.

In an auction where teams broke the bank for the 23-year-old Ishan Kishan and his six-hitting prowess, Saha was perhaps a non-glamorous pick. Even in his previous franchise, Saha contested a spot at the top of the order with Jonny Bairstow - a losing battle in this format. In that sense, GT's auction strategy suited the Bengal batter, and as it stands, he has repaid the belief in him.

"Really impressed [with Saha]. It's great to have him on the team. He's a great professional. He has good experience in the IPL and in all cricket. He understands his game, he plays really well in the PowerPlay and he was always an important asset to have when we needed him. And he's done really well," Gujarat mentor Gary Kirsten said in simple terms. Since making it to the playing XI, Saha has managed a few PowerPlay-defining knocks in eight innings. It's not the first time in the IPL that this old-timer has been influential in the early stages, but the improved levels of contribution this season are there to see clearly.

Seasons Total Runs SR 4s/6s Runs in PP SR in PP 4s/6s in PP
IPL 2021 131 93.57 7/5 79 102.6 6/5
IPL 2022 281 123.25 35/6 191 138.4 28/6
"He's a great player of the short ball. He takes advantage of length really well as a batsman in those powerplay overs, and he's been able to hit the ball over the inner ring," Kirsten said.

That's exactly the sort of skill that GT have been able to make the most of in a season where opposition quicks have resorted to hitting the deck hard and using the bounce early in the innings when there's some spice on the surface. It's the phase and the kind of bowling that Saha has done well against - taking on bowlers like Marco Jansen, Kagiso Rabada, Jasprit Bumrah and Riley Meredith. On Sunday, Saha finished with 53 off 49 - but 37 of those came in 23 deliveries in the PowerPlay where he went after Mukesh Choudhary and Simarjeet Singh - two of CSK's bright spots in a forgettable season.

"The pitch was a bit slow. The odd ball was turning, so initially I wanted to take my chances against the pacers. I see myself as an aggressive player in the powerplay. My strength has been playing the sweep and stepping out and hitting, so that's what I've been doing," Saha said after the game.

It was the bowlers who set the game up for the Titans on Sunday, but Saha can take part of the accolades for how easy the paltry chase turned out to be, to secure a confirmed top-two finish for the side. Lucknow Super Giants and Rajasthan Royals - two of the strongest contenders to secure the vacant Q1 spot - come armed with enviable fast bowling arsenal, adding further value to Saha's early impetus when the table-toppers look to go the distance.