MITCH McGovern’s trade request to get out of Adelaide set tongues wagging on where the young key forward could end up next season.

Carlton looms as the most likely destination for the 23-year-old, with the Blues holding the coveted No.1 draft pick as a potential carrot to be used in a trade.

Fremantle is also firmly in the mix, with McGovern potentially tempted by a return to his home state, a significant role in the Dockers’ dysfunctional forward line, and the opportunity to follow in father Andrew’s footsteps.

But do Freo fans want the departing Crow in purple next season?

Plenty of Dockers supporters took to social media in the wake of the news to urge their club to reconsider plans to recruit McGovern, with concerns about giving up too much - including potentially the club’s top draft pick, currently No.5 - to lure him west.

A number of Dockers fans took the opposite view, wanting the club to explore all their options to land a big fish after missing out on the likes of Jesse Hogan, Travis Cloke and Mitch Clark in recent years.

Fremantle great Paul Hasleby said while he would be reluctant to give up pick 5 to secure McGovern, it could be worth the sacrifice.

“The Fremantle Dockers would love a forward of his ilk,” Hasleby said on 6PR’s Sportsday WA.

“If Adelaide do business with the Dockers, they’re going to want pick 5 for McGovern.

“I wouldn’t give up pick 5 for McGovern at this point in time.

“He’s been injury-prone through his time at the Adelaide Crows, averaged 13 disposals this year, and kicked 15 goals in 12 games. They’re not massive numbers, and he has been playing alongside a pretty good forward line.

“But the Dockers do need someone. Sometimes you’ve got to go hard and give up something to get something. This may be their opportunity.”

The Crows’ reported interest in potential top draft pick Jack Lukosius - a South Australian product - could fuel their desire to deal with Carlton in a trade involving McGovern.

Adelaide captain Taylor Walker said he had no idea why McGovern wanted a trade.

And Walker has confirmed the departures of assistant coaches Josh Francou, after serving just one year of a three-year contract, and Tate Kaesler.

Walker will speak to McGovern to find out why he wants to break his contract with the Crows - he signed a three-year contract extension at the end of last season.

“I don't know ... and that is something that I would like to find out,” Walker told Triple M.

“It's disappointing that we lose a quality player and a quality fella.

“I do take it personally but I have learnt in my 11 years (in the AFL system) that it's just the caper we're in.”