While the returns of suspended duo Steve Smith and David Warner could have Australia's ODI batsmen worried about their spots for the World Cup, all opener Usman Khawaja is concerned about is winning games of cricket for his country.

Khawaja made his ODI comeback at home against India in January and in his four innings back in the green and gold he's put together scores of 59, 21, 34 and an even 50 made in Saturday's first ODI in Hyderabad.

The expected recall of Smith and Warner, whose bans 12-month bans expire at the end of this month, is set to put a squeeze on World Cup batting spots, but Khawaja says he isn't looking ahead to May and the 50-over showpiece event with nine more ODIs still to play until the 15-man squad is chosen.

"I worked really hard to get back into the one-day team and I'm just enjoying the ride, doing the best I can for the team," Khawaja said on Sunday.

"Doing my best to win cricket games, that's the most important thing.

"That's all I can really focus on."

With still 24 days left until their suspensions conclude, myriad questions have been asked about what the returns of Smith and Warner will look like.

When will they play their first game back? Where will they bat? Who makes way? How will they be received in the team? How will the crowds react?

Time will tell how their comebacks will play out, but Khawaja has no doubt how they will be greeted when they re-enter the national setup.

"They're world-class players and they've been amazing for the one-day team for Australia for a long time," he said.

"I'm sure when they do come back they'll be welcomed with open arms."

What has made Smith and Warner so great in one-day cricket is knowing when to launch an all-out assault or pull back and play conservatively.

It's a challenge Khawaja faces as an opening batsman with the field up inside the first 10 overs.

He says the pitch often plays a part in shaping in his innings and knowing when to go on the offensive.

"It's all about executing your skill, do it better for longer," he said.

"The best players do that – there are always risks to be taken in one-day cricket, as there are in T20 cricket.

"You probably don't realise it at the time, if the ball goes for four you don't realise what kind of risk it was and if you get out to it then people see the risk there.

"As a batsman you're always juggling that in any short-form cricket.

"The best players do it better."