England midfielder Jack Wilshere is delighted manager Roy Hodgson has decided to place his faith in a younger squad for the World Cup.

Hodgson selected his pool for Brazil earlier this month and opted to leave out many of England's old guard as he plans for the future.

Wilshere is confident the new breed will rise to the occasion, in the same way Germany's younger players have in the last eight years.

"A lot of people have been calling for it for a long time. We've seen Germany do it and they've been successful," Wilshere told Sky Sports News.

"Now we're doing it, they're young but they're good players and been playing in the Premier League and done well and even been the better players in their team. We're looking forward to seeing what they can do."

Wilshere is close to returning to full fitness after injuring his foot in a friendly against Denmark in March, and should be ready for the opening Group D match with Italy on 14 June.

But the 22-year-old insists he has not been fretting about his fitness, despite missing Euro 2012 with a long-term ankle injury.

"I tend to look forward. If someone told me four years ago I'd be going to a World Cup with 15 caps, I'd be happy," Wilshere said.

"I've got a World Cup in front of me now. It's disappointing (injuries) we have to look to the future and hopefully I can contribute in this World Cup."

Wilshere also revealed he enjoys working with Hodgson, who has similar methods to former Arsenal youth coach Steve Bould, who is now assistant to Arsene Wenger.

"It's different from my club where I've got a French manager and he's got different views from the England staff," Wilshere added.

"But Hodgson is like an old school English manager I was used to growing up with at Arsenal. I feel really comfortable around him.

"I grew up working with Steve Bould in the youth team - they're strong and they're disciplined and I really enjoy it."