England defender Glen Johnson says Luis Suarez believes he will be fit in time to feature in next month's World Cup.

Johnson says he has spoken to his Liverpool team-mate this week and the Uruguay striker - who could line up against England in their second game in Brazil - has told him his knee injury is not as bad as feared.

"He doesn't think it's that bad so he thinks he'll be ok," Johnson said. "My only focus is on a personal level that I don't want to see him injured.

"He's a good lad and I get on well with him so of course I don't want him to be injured.

"But we just have to focus on ourselves and let everybody else focus on the other teams."

Johnson also said he thinks Raheem Sterling can be England's surprise weapon in Brazil - and backed his fellow club team-mates Steven Gerrard and Jordan Henderson to start alongside each other in midfield.

"It's great to see a few more Liverpool players in the England squad," he added. "Obviously Raheem and Jordan have been brilliant for us, domestically they have been fantastic.

"I'm sure they'll get their chance to shine out here and play their part. They have been fantastic together; they work well together when we have got the ball and when we haven't got the ball.

"Obviously for me seeing it every week in Liverpool, I'd like to see them play together definitely.

"Raheem, when he plays on the right or the left, he's been equally effective as well. He can bring the element of surprise and not too many players in the World Cup have played against him so hopefully that could be a positive for us and play into our hands."