NEWCASTLE winger Ken Sio could be set for a return to the Super League after being offered a contract described as “pathetic” by manager Sam Ayoub.

The Newcastle Herald is reporting that the Knights tabled an offer to the off-contract winger that was half the value of his previous deal.

“It was pathetic,” he told The Newcastle Herald.

“We had an offer from them about two months ago and I’m telling you that it was pathetic.

“They basically offered him half of what he was on last season.

“When I met with them again a few weeks ago, I said to them all they needed to do was find an extra $20,000 to $30,000 and we could get it over the line because Kenny is keen to stay.

“But I’ve heard nothing. No-one can make a decision up there.”

Sio was the club’s highest pointscorer in 2018, finishing the year with 12 tries and 25 goals. After starting his NRL career at Parramatta, Sio then spent two seasons in the UK with Hull KR before returning to Australia with the Knights in 2017.

Ayoub said he has two Super League clubs interested in Sio and will move on after losing patience with the Knights.

The 27-year-old has a young family and has expressed his desire to remain in Newcastle, but Ayoub’s swipe at the club is likely to sour the relationship.

The Knights have signed fellow backline stars Jesse Ramien and Edrick Lee for 2019, which is bound to squeeze out at least one or two players with Kalyn Ponga, Sione Mata’utia and Tautau Moga to return next season.