ONLY a history-making event denied Irish trainer Willie Mullins his dream of winning a Melbourne Cup in 2015 and he’s got as many as 10 contenders for this year’s race.

And it could be a horse not even listed in Cup betting that emerges as his best hope of going one better than Max Dynamite, who ran second to Prince Of Penzance in 2015 when Michelle Payne became the first female jockey to win the race.

Chelkar, a lightly raced five-year-old owned locally by Terry Henderson’s OTI racing, had its first start for Mullins during the recent Royal Ascot carnival.

The gelding, who spent almost two years out of racing due to injury, ran fourth behind another Mullins’ runner, Logostovegas, which could also find its way to Melbourne.

On the back of that run, Chelkar has been installed as favourite for the Ebor Handicap (2800m), Europe’s richest handicap race, which will be run at York on August 25.

Mullins claimed the Ebor with Sesanta in 2009.

Chelkar is expected to have at least another run at Galway before then and while a Cup start is not guaranteed, he will be coming to Australia.

Mullins has placed in the Cup twice, both times with Max Dynamite who ran third last year behind Rekindling and Johannes Vermeer, and he could return for a fourth attempt.

“He has probably missed his chance but he’s good enough to go there,” Mullins said.

“The prizemoney ($7.3 million) is so good and if you’re qualified to run I often think you should run. If you’re not in you can’t win.”

Connections of Chelkar are very happy with his progress and Mullins said the gelding had a massive upside given he’s had just five starts.

“Once he gets going with a run or two under his belt I think he’ll show huge improvement,” Mullins said.

“You don’t know how much horses will improve until they get a few runs.”

Mullins could also bring back Thomas Hobson, who ran sixth in last year’s Cup and is currently rated a $51 TAB chance.

“You need stamina but you need class as well (to win). Max had most of that, Thomas could still produce it I think. We haven’t seen the best of him yet,” Mullins said.

“We did a little back surgery with him and we think it’s made a difference. Hopefully that will show itself in his next run or two, otherwise we won’t be seeing him.”

Mullins said Wicklow Brave, who has had two Cup runs and finished 10th in last year’s race, would “probably not” return this year.

CASTRO REVISITS EARLY PROMISE
TWO years ago Gnarwarre trainer Alan Hunter came to prominence when his first starter Astro Castro won at Flemington at $101.

A big offer from Hong Kong followed and Astro Castro looked destined to leave his stables.

“I’m not sure what happened, but the bloke backed out,” Hunter said on Saturday.

“But it’s all worked out as I got to keep him and train him for my uncle Gavan Burns and his wife Karen.”

What followed was a topsy-turvy time for Hunter and Astro Castro as the horse mixed his form.

Eventually Astro Castro had a minor wind operation, and Hunter said he was now back on track as he returns to Flemington to contest Saturday’s Benchmark 78 (1200m).

Astro Castro won his last start at Moonee Valley, his fourth triumph in all and his first in the city since his debut.

“I’m taking a bit of the blame for his form — I wanted to try him over longer distances,” Hunter said.

“I didn’t listen to Dwayne Dunn, who told me I should keep him fresh and train him as a sprinter, for quite a long time.”

Hunter still holds high hopes for Astro Castro.

“At his second start he ran in the Bobbie Lewis — he finished 10th behind Faatinah but he was only three lengths behind Santa Ana Lane and he had a breathing problem,” he said.

“Hopefully we can get him to a nice race during spring.”

Astro Castro will be ridden by Georgina Cartwright, who was on him last start.

“Although Georgie is now based in Caulfield she comes to the jumpouts on Wednesdays at Geelong, stays here on Saturday and comes to my place to ride him on Sunday,” Hunter said.

Astro Castro is an $18 chance with TAB.