Scott Lycett says he is capable of stepping into the No.1 ruck role and leading West Coast’s flag assault after Nic Naitanui’s suspected season-ending knee injury in the Eagles’ 35-point win over Collingwood at the MCG yesterday.

Coach Adam Simpson praised the gritty 15.12 (102) to 9.13 (67) victory that lifted them to second on the ladder behind Richmond on percentage.

But he conceded the important result was “bittersweet” after watching Naitanui limp from the field during the second quarter.

The Eagles’ most influential player landed awkwardly and injured his ‘good’ right knee.

He was assessed on the bench before heading to the change rooms and did not reappear.

Naitanui, 28, flew back to Perth last night and will have scans today to determine the full extent of the damage.

Eagles officials fear the worst for Naitanui, who returned in round one this season after spending 18 months on the sidelines following reconstructive surgery on his left knee in 2016.

Lycett managed just one match last year amid shoulder and knee injuries, but has played every game this season.

He held his own against Brodie Grundy in the second half yesterday and will likely get support from Nathan Vardy if Naitanui is sidelined again.

Lycett was confident the Eagles could cover the loss as the premiership race heated up.

“We’ve been doing it all year,” Lycett said.

“We’ve had really big injuries with the forward-line guys like JK (Josh Kennedy), Jack Darling and Lecca (Mark LeCras) and guys have come in and played their roles.

“If Nic does go out then I’m sure we can fill that role.

“My body feels pretty good. I was lucky enough to have a full pre-season, which has helped me grind out games throughout this year and I’ve loved it.

“The knee and shoulder are feeling really good.

“I’ve played 16 games in a row now and I’ll back up next week.”

Lycett, 25, is out of contract at the end of the season, when he will be eligible for restricted free agency. Another long-term injury for Naitanui would make re-signing the South Australian product Lycett an even more pressing priority for West Coast.

“It doesn’t look great, so fingers crossed,” a forlorn Simpson said of Naitanui’s injury.

“There’s a bit of emotion going on in the rooms after the game, but he (Naitanui) is probably the one who is most relaxed with it all. Your heart breaks a little bit if it’s the case (that he has sustained major damage).

“It’s his other knee. It’s one of those things that words can’t describe. But he’s not dying, he’s not dead. He’s still the same person, but it’s just unfortunate that we may have lost him for another season.”