Norm Smith Medallist Luke Shuey is hoping to draw inspiration from 2014 Brownlow Medallist Matt Priddis as he attempts to improve even further from his stunning grand final performance.

Shuey, who played what statisticians rate as the best final of any player in 10 years, said the grand final was only one performance and improvement lay in being able to reproduce his best form regularly.

Shuey had 34 disposals, laid eight tackles, won 19 contested possessions, engineered 9 clearances and kicked a critical goal on his way to best on ground honours in the thrilling win against Collingwood.

But he believes others like Adelaide’s Andrew McLeod and St Kilda’s Lenny Hayes had played better grand finals and he wants people to stop talking about it now so he can move on.

“I think every year you turn up to pre-season and you need to have the mindset of getting better. You can never be content with where you are at as a player. I am always working to get better and I am sure every player around the country is the same,” he said.

“You turn up hoping to improve on every aspect of your game. You work on your strengths and what you are not so great at. I am still in that frame of mind at 28 and the guy who I looked up to for so long Matty Priddis was doing that when he was 31 or 32 until he retired.

“That is the sort of mindset you need to be in. It is where I am at. Hopefully I can keep improving until I am finished as a player.”

Shuey said West Coast’s ability to back their premiership up with another strong season would depend on all players taking the attitude that they could get better.

“That (the grand final) was one game. I didn’t play like that every week. It would be nice to be able to do that every week. For us to be successful as a club again every guy needs to keep improving and therefore you improve as a team,” he said.

“It is so hard to defend a premiership a year later. We need to improve as a team otherwise we will get left behind and the stepping stones to get there as a footy club are that individuals need to keep improving.”