New West Coast big man Keegan Brooksby says he only found out about the reigning premiers’ interest in him in the week of the national draft.

Brooksby was unveiled in Eagles’ colours at Subiaco Oval today after completing his first session with his new teammates yesterday.

The 28-year-old has had to wait to start his pre-season after withdrawing from the draft when he learnt he would join West Coast during the pre-season supplemental selection period, which opened last Saturday.

“It’s probably been waiting a little bit,” Brooksby said. “The last couple of weeks have unfolded differently with the new rules and everything but to be able to get in yesterday and have my first day was something really exciting.

“I think it was the Monday before the draft that everything sort of got done and it happened pretty quickly in that period and then you obviously have to wait until December 1 until you can officially be an Eagles player.

“I suppose for someone who is a little bit older, it gives you a bit of security about where you are going and into a situation that you really want to be in.

“Scott Clayton worked at Gold Coast when I was there so we’ve got a bit of a relationship and then post season he sort of got in touch then but during the season, no (I wasn’t aware of the interest).”

Brooksby said he had been thrown around during his time at Gold Coast where he played 14 games over three seasons and enjoyed just one top-level win.

He said he benefited from his return to South Adelaide this year where he was co-captain.

“From a football point of view, to be able to play my natural position ruck week after week and be able to get a bit of continuity and consistency in performance was pretty good as well,” Brookbsy said.

“I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Gold Coast, obviously the success wasn’t quite there and individually I probably go thrown around a little bit playing multiple positions, which might not have suited me in that sort of situation. Being able to go back and enjoy it at a different level, focus on some other things outside of football as well was really enjoyable.”

Brooksby said he saw his best position as the second ruck and believed the rule changes were making it easier for teams to play two rucks in the same side.

He is set to battle it out with Nathan Vardy and Tom Hickey, with Nic Naitanui still rehabbing from his knee reconstruction.