The 21-year-old ended the 2013/14 campaign on loan at Derby, helping them to the Championship play-off final.

He has since requested a permanent switch away from The Hawthorns, but has been left frustrated as West Brom stepped up their search for a new manager.

With Irvine having been handed the reins, he has assured all of those on his books that they will be offered a clean slate and should not be looking to move on before they have been given an opportunity to impress.

He said in the Birmingham Mail on the future of Thorne and any others considering a summer exit: “I don’t think we should be in a position where we’re letting players go.

“I would like to see all of the players, see what they can do in pre-season training and make decisions from there.

“I wouldn’t be keen on losing young, good players.

“We haven’t even spoken yet so he’s (Thorne) not had a chance to formulate an opinion about me or vice-versa.

“I would have thought any player would be thinking, ‘This might be a chance for me to stake a claim for a regular place’.”

Technical director Terry Burton added: “He’s an Albion player, he’s under contract, we think he’s a good player and we want the opportunity to see if we can give him first team football.

“But that’s up to George to show he’s the best man for the role.”