Travis Head won't quite believe it until he's got a Baggy Green on his head, but the South Australian is confident he can translate his limited-overs form to the Test arena.

Head admits it's a "weird feeling" to have publicly been anointed by coach Justin Langer as a certainty to debut in the series-opener but to still have to wait until Sunday for his name to be inked onto the team sheet.

“It's nice to have the confidence from the coach and the selectors,” said the 24-year-old, who has had successful stints over the winter with Australia A on their tour to India and in the UK at Worcestershire.

“Once that team's picked, I'm just making sure I'm really relaxed and calm, and continue to do the stuff I've been doing really well over the last couple of months. I feel like I'm batting really well and bowling really well and can contribute to Australia.

“It's a weird feeling knowing that I'm really ready to go and I'm trying not to think about it too much.”

His extended family are on the way to Dubai to share in his special moment and he could have as many as three teammates also making their debuts alongside him in a new-look middle-order.

Notably picked ahead of the likes of middle-order players Peter Handscomb and Glenn Maxwell, Head is confident he's ready to step up to Test level.

In 2015, Head, aged 21, became South Australia's youngest ever captain but he now admits his batting approach against the red ball has needed time to mature.

At the time the left-hander did not have a first-class century to his name but after breaking through in his 36th game, his last three Sheffield Shield seasons have yielded seven tons to justify the faith the Redbacks put into the prodigious young talent.

Running parallel to his red-ball challenges and successes over that period has been his progression as a limited-overs cricketer, becoming an integral part of Australia's one-day side over in recent years.

He scored his maiden international hundred against Pakistan last year and Head says his mindset in the whites won't be a whole lot different to if he was wearing yellow.

"I don't have much difference between white and red ball. The shift for me is just being able to do it for longer periods of time," continued Head, who scored an unbeaten 90 in the recent tour match against Pakistan A to secure his spot in the Test side.

"I naturally haven’t changed the way I play between all formats, I've been quite aggressive and quite positive.

"The shift is being a little older and realising if I spend time out in the middle and bat for longer periods of time, I'll be able to score runs. That's been the major shift.

"JL (Langer) has been fantastic in the short period he's been coach with me.

"It (his technique against spin) has developed over time, it's nice to find that consistency in the game. I think there’s still more upside and I can continue to get better."

South Australia's improved domestic performances under Head's guidance have seen an increase in Test caps going to Redbacks, though the last three (Chadd Sayers, Joe Mennie and Callum Ferguson) have each played just the one Test.

"It's a boyhood dream to play for Australia, we've had a couple of guys do it in the last couple of years," Head said.

"They've only had a limited opportunities but it's still (an achievement). It's an amazing time to be around and amazing experience. To join that group is nice.

"Fingers crossed it happens."