Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has revealed how text messages from Wayne Rooney helped him find his feet at the club.

The former Red Devils skipper reportedly reached out to the new United gaffer, expressing just how bad Jose Mourinho’s tenure at the club was.

The club’s all-time leading scorer came clean to Solskjaer with the details on where Mourinho was going wrong and where things can be improved.

Speaking on BT Sport after United’s impressive 5-1 win over Cardiff, the Norwegian said: “I think all those texts and advice from Wazza helped us today.”

“He told us to make them enjoy football, smile, go forward, play, just be Man United and that’s what I asked them for.

“It’s been a tough week for them, it’s been a tough week for me.”

Rooney provided more detail on why he decided to message his former teammate.

“Obviously Manchester United is a big part of my life and it was never nice watching what was going on,” said Rooney on BT Sport after the game.

“Once Ole got the job, I thought I’d give him a message of congratulations and my feelings of how it’s been from speaking to some players and what I felt needs to change.

“I think first of it all it was just getting the lads to enjoy playing football. That’s what the lads wanted, that’s what they were after and he’s definitely the guy to make them do that.”

Rooney enjoyed great success during his time at Old Trafford, but had a rollercoaster final couple of seasons at the club.

“Yeah. Not just the players the whole football club,” said Rooney on whether the past couple of season have been tough at United.

“I’m sure Ed Woodward was the same. The staff, the kitchen ladies, the kit men, everyone, they weren’t enjoying it.

“Ole’s the type of person I know straight away the staff are happy and as you’ve seen today the players are also.”