Warner underwent an elbow surgery © Getty

Having had a surgery to his elbow, David Warner is set to resume batting in three to four weeks. Unlike Steven Smith, whose elbow surgery required him to be in an arm brace for six weeks, Warner underwent an operation to remove a bone spur and loose bone that had caused inflammation and he should be ready for selection once his ban ends in a couple of months.

"David Warner underwent surgery yesterday to remove a bone spur and loose bone in his elbow that was causing an inflamed joint," a CA spokesman said. "David will undergo rehabilitation in which we expect him to be able to begin moving his arm by the end of the week, and within 3-4 weeks resume batting, with his return to playing to be determined soon after that."

Both Smith and Warner returned midway from their stints at the Bangladesh Premier League owing to injuries. Serving a 12-month ban from international and Australian domestic cricket for their roles in the ball-tampering incident, their period of exile will end on March 28. With Australia set to play against Pakistan five ODIs in the UAE - the last two matches likely to be held after the bans have ended - Warner is likely to be available for selection while Smith's situation is unclear as his recovery might take longer.

Warner, who is part of the Sunrisers Hyderabad team is also expected to feature in the Indian Premier League which gets underway in March. However, there's uncertainty over Smith's participation with Mumbai Mirror reporting that Rajasthan Royals are contemplating a replacement.

Meanwhile, Australia coach Justin Langer has been in contact with both players while monitoring their situation closely. "I spoke to them both last night actually," Langer told SEN on Tuesday. "I think Davey is going to get a clean-up, I don't think Davey's is as serious as Steve's was. That said, Steve is in a brace for the next 5-6 weeks I think.

"What we do know about them is, they haven't been good players, they've been great players for Australia. We are obviously monitoring them very closely and we are hopeful they will be getting themselves fit and strong and putting their name up for selection. It's an exciting time coming up," Langer said.