Lineouts are a lot more complicated than armchair rugby fans might think and yet there is a painfully simple fix to Australia's woes in that department, according to lock Adam Coleman.

The Wallabies are grappling with a number of on-field issues which have contributed to their dismal record of just two wins from their last 10 outings, with their sloppy set-piece chief among them.

The team's failure to consistently secure possession at lineouts has been a major handbrake on their attacking play and, in turn, invites further pressure on their defence.

Australia have a record-low lineout success rate of just 76 per cent in the Rugby Championship this year, having coughed up their own ball three times in each of their last two outings - defeats at home to Argentina and away to South Africa.

Sorting it out quickly needs to be a top priority for Michael Cheika and his forwards coach, Simon Raiwalui, who replaced Mario Ledesma when the Argentina great returned to coach his native country.

Wallabies lineout caller Coleman said the problems were down to players not staying "switched on" during games.

"I think lineouts are a lot more complex than people realise," he told reporters in Buenos Aires.

"You're coordinating eight guys at certain points to win a ball against a varying defence.

"(But) there's a danger of over thinking. You can over analyse things ... it's just making sure that everyone is across their role.

"It comes down to that moment and executing it in that moment. We haven't been doing that."

The Wallabies will have a different starting lineout thrower on Sunday morning (AEST) in Salta with hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau having flown home with a hamstring injury.

Folau Faingaa, Brandon Paenga-Amosa and Tolu Latu are in a three-way battle for the two hooking spots in the match squad.

Ledesma's intimate knowledge of Wallabies operations was a clear advantage in Argentina's 23-19 win on the Gold Coast last month - and it should be again this weekend.

Add a raucous home crowd at the Estadio Padre Ernesto Martearena and Coleman anticipates Los Pumas will be a "tenfold" tougher proposition this time around.

As for Salta itself, Coleman doesn't know what to expect but he does know altitude will be a factor.

"I think I've got to hit up Wikipedia tonight. I've got no idea what it's like," he said.

"I've played at altitude in South Africa before so I assume it's going to be very similar.

"You've really got to stay in the moment and not worry about how much oxygen is in the air.

"What you can control is your next job."