JACK Dempsey will make his long awaited return to professional rugby when he comes off the bench for the Sydney Rays in their NRC match against Queensland City at Woollahra Oval on Saturday.

The 24-year-old Wallabies flanker has been out of the game for 11 months after his hamstring was ripped off the bone in a horror injury playing against the Barbarians last year.

Dempsey spoke to foxsports.com.au about the huge relief of finally getting back to full fitness after a long period away from the game.

“It’s good to be back… I’m very confident in how the leg’s feeling now,” Dempsey said.

“We’re at the point now where we’re pretty confident of going out there and being able to perform somewhat where I left off.

“It’s just more about making sure we listen to the physios and… make sure the long-term health of the leg is good.”

Dempsey has six Test caps, including a man of the match performance in his Bledisloe Cup debut last year.

His Rays coach Chris Whitaker had been impressed with Dempsey’s resilience and determination to prove his fitness.

“Jack had to get through full contact on Tuesday night and a full training week,” Whitaker said.

“Everyone in our group is excited for him.

“It’s certainly been a hard road with a long-term injury like he has had.”

After initially being given a five month recovery prognosis, Dempsey’s return kept getting pushed back further and further.

That makes him somewhat of a forgotten man in Australian rugby, with Lukhan Tui since claiming the Test No 6 jersey.

Dempsey doesn’t try to hide just how frustrating his time on the sidelines has been.

You wouldn’t want to be a City player on Saturday when he comes off the bench and makes his first tackle.

“It’s been such a frustrating, uncertain period — we were told one thing, and then another thing happens,” Dempsey said.

“(I was) supposed to be back around April or May at the very latest… that’s what we were aiming for.

“Everything can be taken from you in a split second decision… it can just strip a year’s worth of rugby from you.

“You want to make sure when you do get back, you want to love every minute you’re out there.”

The Waratahs enjoyed a successful 2018 season in his absence, reaching the semifinals for the first time since 2015.

That made it extra difficult for Dempsey.

“To pretty much miss out on the most successful year that I’d been part of the Waratahs is very tough; not to even get out there for a minute.

“At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter… we all want the Waratahs to be the best that they can.

“Next year we’re striving to win it all.”

The Rays lost their opening match against the Canberra Vikings; going down 54-17 last Saturday.

Dempsey believes that regardless of the limited preparation, the Rays can bounce back this weekend against a City squad which features superstars Quade Cooper and Karmichael Hunt.

“We’re feeling pretty good… it was quite tough with the short turnaround coming up against the Vikings, who’d been together for a few weeks,” Dempsey said.

“Brisbane’s got a really good team… they’ve had success in this competition for many years.

“It’s going to be a big challenge.”

The Rays will endure a hefty workload over the next couple of weeks; they’re playing three NRC matches in eight days against City, NSW Country Eagles and Fijian Drua.

“Three really good teams in eight days is going to be very tough,” Dempsey said.

“The young blokes are probably going to be shocked the most because if you look at any other competition — whether it’s the Shute Shield or even Super Rugby — it’s not something you have to deal with.

“There’s going to be some guys being rotated and guys on the bench this weekend.

“It’s just about being smart so we can give everyone a go and also not overload players.”

While Dempsey hasn’t heard from Wallabies coach Michael Cheika recently, he aims to remind him of his talent over the coming months as the Rugby World Cup approaches.

“I’ve been working now for 11 months just to get back on some sort of field somewhere,” Dempsey said.

“Once I’m confident I can play the way everyone knows I can play, then it’s only a matter of consistency.

“I’m sure then I’ll get a look back in there somewhere.”