Glenn Maxwell and Matthew Wade have been named captains of Melbourne Stars and Hobart Hurricanes respectively as the two franchises prepare for their opening matches of BBL|08 next week.

Maxwell takes the reins for the Stars, who finished with the wooden spoon last season, after John Hastings' unexpected retirement due to health issues.

The Australia allrounder has been in sparkling T20 form through 2018, hammering his second T20I hundred last summer and starring in the recent matches against South Africa and India with bat, ball and in the field.

"It's an honour to be named captain of the Melbourne Stars and I'm looking forward to working with (head coach) Stephen Fleming on what is set to be another big season," said Maxwell, who is the ICC's No.1 ranked T20I allrounder.

"We've got a talented list which includes new signings so it's going to be important for us to come together this week and get to know each other more both on and off the field."

The Stars made the finals in the first six editions of the KFC Big Bash but won just two matches from 10 last season.

"We got beaten up a little bit last year," Fleming told News Corp. "Continuity just caught up with us a little bit. We might've been a little bit slow in rejuvenating the side and just looking at the length of contracts and the cycle of players we had on contract.

"We became a little bit predictable. It's been challenging."

The Stars' first match this season is Friday week against Sydney Thunder in Canberra.

Hobart meanwhile, have replaced George Bailey as skipper with the combative Wade, who has had a stunning run with the bat in the JLT Sheffield Shield to lead all run scorers at the Christmas break.

A similar handover has happened in Tasmania's Shield side, with Bailey remaining a senior and influential figure in both groups. It reaped immediate dividends with the Tigers, as Bailey hit his first hundred of the Shield season in the recent clash with Queensland.

"I'm really proud to become the captain of such a great group," said Wade.

""As I said with the Tigers Shield captaincy, I'm more than happy to step into the role because George thought it was the best move for himself and the team."

"As we've seen over the past fortnight with the Tigers, George being able to focus fully on his batting has been great for us and I'm sure that will transfer into purple."

The Hurricanes reached the final of last summer's Big Bash, only to be beaten by Adelaide Strikers. Their first match this tournament is Saturday, December 22 against the Heat on the Gold Coast.