"I have loved my time at Brisbane, firstly as a player and then as coach, and the experience of being part of the growth of the BBL has been personally rewarding" - Vettori © Getty

Daniel Vettori has decided against renewing his contract as Brisbane Heat's coach after four years in charge. The Big Bash League franchise's best result under Vettori was a semi-final finish in 2016-17.

Vettori's exit from Brisbane Heat comes close on the heels of his departure as Royal Challengers Bangalore's coach in the IPL and as Middlesex's coach in the T20 Blast.

"After careful consideration over the past few weeks, I have decided not to seek a contract renewal as head coach of the Brisbane Heat," Vettori said on Saturday (February 9). "I informed the General Manager of my decision prior to the game against Melbourne Stars at the MCG and that was accepted by the club. I told the playing group and coaching and support staff of my decision before last night's match.

"I have loved my time at Brisbane, firstly as a player and then as coach, and the experience of being part of the growth of the BBL has been personally rewarding."

Brendon McCullum also recently announced his BBL retirement and played his last home game at Gabba on Friday, when Brisbane Heat beat Melbourne Stars by ten wickets. The exit of the duo marks the end of an era for the Heat.

"It was important for us to do our best to send Baz off a winner in our last home game but equally so for Dan,'' Heat captain Chris Lynn said after his side's win over the Stars on Friday. "His composure throughout our campaigns has been a constant in the background and I'm grateful to have benefited from his experience and knowledge of the game."

"The Heat have been very grateful to Dan for his involvement," general manager Andrew McShea said, "as a player from BBL|01, and then as our coach for the past four seasons. It's an end of an era for the Heat with both Brendon McCullum and now Dan leaving our club and we can only express our deepest gratitude to both men for their passion and dedication to the Heat during their time with us. We will take this opportunity to review our planning and our structures and look to make a fresh start in BBL09."