Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal demanded an apology from the media on Thursday for reports that he was set to be sacked as manager of the Premier League club.

Van Gaal has come under increasing pressure since Saturday's 2-1 home defeat to Norwich City, with stories suggesting that the Old Trafford hierarchy had sounded out Jose Mourinho as a possible replacement.

And the United boss, speaking at a press conference ahead of the match with Stoke City, requested that the media say sorry to him for reporting that his sacking was imminent.
“Has anybody in this room not a feeling to apologise to me?” Van Gaal said. “That’s what I am wondering.

“I think I was already sacked I have read. Or have been sacked. Or that my colleague [Jose Mourinho] was here already.
"What do you think that happens with my wife or with my kids? Or with my grandchildren? Or with the fans of Manchester United? Or with my friends? What do you think?
“They have called me, a lot of times, and also Arsene Wenger is saying something about that.
“Do you think I want to talk with the media now? I am here only because of the Premier League rules. I have to talk with you. But I can only see that when I talk to you that you put it in your context."