USAIN Bolt is ‘a good chance’ of starting his first match for the Central Coast Mariners in a friendly on Friday night against Macarthur South West United in Sydney.

“I think from a fitness perspective you could probably start him. Whether we do or not… probably a good chance,” said Mariners coach Mike Mulvey.

“But we’ll weight it up as the week goes.

“He came on for 15-20 mins last time and he’ll play longer this time because his level of fitness has improved.

“It’s ok having a level of fitness – you need to then get the football fitness, which is very difficult.

“We’re quietly pleased with the way he’s improved.”

Bolt admitted he was struggling with his fitness after making a 20 minute cameo against Central Coast Select XI in late August.

“I knew that [my fitness] might be an issue, so that’s why we said only twenty minutes,” he said after the game.

“I was a little bit nervous, but as soon as I got on the field I think the nerves went away,” Bolt told Fox Sports. “I wish I had more touches, but I’m not fit yet. I’ve just got to put in the work and get up to speed.”

Starting a match will be a big test of the progress the eight-time Olympic gold medallist has made in the months since as he chases an A-League contract.