NICK Kyrgios has blasted US Open officials for not having a heat rule in place for men’s players after huffing and puffing his way into the second round in sweltering New York.

The mercurial Australian spent much of his opening match complaining of fatigue before pulling through 7-5 2-6 6-4 6-2 against Moldovan baseliner Radu Albot.

After a scorching day in which temperatures nudged towards 40C at Flushing Meadows, humidity levels were still extreme even when Kyrgios hit the court for the night session on Louis Armstrong Stadium.

"I’m f***ed, my legs are f***ed. I’m cooked, I’m f***ing done. I can’t play," Kyrgios moaned to his courtside box during the second set.

But after recovering to safely advance to a second-round clash with Frenchman Pierre-Hugues Herbert, Kyrgios took aim at the United States Tennis Association (USTA).

On a day featuring six mid-match retirements in the men’s event, tournament referee Brian Earley took the unprecedented step of offering players a 10-minute break after the third set.

The women have long played under an extreme heat rule offering 10 minutes’ relief before the deciding third set.

"The heat can become dangerous at times," Kyrgios said.

"I don’t think we had a heat rule. We made one up today, right? "That’s just ridiculous. Honestly, I think we should have a heat rule. "It’s not healthy for players to be out there and getting dizzy and stuff. We’re the ones playing.

"It’s not only players. The ball kids out there ... and the spectators aren’t going to watch if it’s that hot."

Should he cool off and beat Herbert next, Kyrgios will likely run into five- times champion Roger Federer in the third round.

But the dual grand slam quarter-finalist knows he’ll need to lift his game to get past Herbert first, let alone challenge Federer.

"He’s got a big serve. It’s going to be tough. He beat me at Wimbledon last year," Kyrgios said of Herbert.

After winning the opening set against Albot, recovering from a service break down, Kyrgios collapsed in the second, constantly muttering to his players’ box during changeovers.

He later said such antics "keep me relaxed".

But, after a series of mid-match retirements over the past two years, the writing looked on the wall when Kyrgios allowed Albot back on level terms and then handed the world No.95 another break-point opportunity early in the third.

But he emerged from the malaise, breaking Albot after luring him to the net with a casual tweener, then firing a forehand pass cross court.

Kyrgios carried the momentum into the fourth set, breaking Albot twice more to charge ahead 4-0 before finally sealing victory after two hours and 20 minutes.