World No 1 Serena Williams brushed aside Caroline Wozniacki 6-3 6-3 to join Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova on 18 grand slam titles.

Victory gave the 32-year-old Williams her third consecutive women's title at Flushing Meadows.

She did not drop a set all tournament and hit 29 winners to Wozniacki's four - all but one of which were aces to secure a historic victory.

The Dane had hoped she would be more ready for the occasion five years after her first slam final here, when she lost to Kim Clijsters, but she was comprehensively second best.

Williams also matched Evert's total of six championships at the event in New York and became the first woman to win three in a row since Evert's four-title run from 1975-78.

It has been a tough season for Williams by her sky-high standards, the American failing to make it past the fourth round at any of the first three slams.

Emotional win
The emotion for Williams was clear and she struggled to hold back tears as she explained her feelings at winning a sixth US Open title 15 years after her first.

"It was a really wonderful feeling," said Williams, who also collected a cheque for four million US dollars, the biggest in tennis history.

"It was a wonderful finish, I couldn't have thought of any better way. Congratulations to Caroline, she's known what a struggle it's been for me, we text almost every day.

"I know you're going to win (a slam) very soon, maybe even in Australia. I've got to go home and get fit again so I can get ready for you."

Williams was then joined on court by Evert and Navratilova, who presented her with an 18-carat gold Tiffany bracelet to mark her achievement.

Back at the top of her game, Williams broke Wozniacki's serve five times and compiled a hard-to-believe 29-4 edge in winners.

Remarkably, until a crosscourt backhand on the run in the final game that even Williams applauded, the only winners registered by the 10th-seeded Wozniacki came on a trio of aces, one in the first set, two in the second.

That was, in part, a result of the Dane's poor play, but more due to Williams' relentless pursuit of every ball.

A few weeks shy of her 33rd birthday, making the American the oldest major champion since Navratilova was 33 at Wimbledon in 1990, Williams simply would not allow a shot to get past her. Wozniacki is the one training for the New York City Marathon, but Williams tired her out by the end.

Williams clinched victory when Wozniacki drove a backhand long and dropped to the ground in delight before sharing a hug with Wozniacki.

Addressing Williams, the 24-year-old former No 1 said: "You really deserved it today, you played better than me. You're an unbelievable champion, an inspiration to me on and off court. You're an unbelievable friend and you definitely owe drinks later."