UNI Rebels coach Malix Laurel believes “everyone” wanted to play on instead of having a long break, with Darwin Basketball League Season 1 action to resume tonight.

It has been five weeks since the last top-league game, with Rebels to face Eagles in Round 16.

“The consensus is everyone (in the men’s top league) has seen the break as an inconvenience,” Laurel told the NT News.

“I’m not sure why we had one.”

Essington coach Alex Hamriding also said he could not understand why there was a long break before the competition was paused.

DBA executive officer Kerri Savidge outlined the reasons behind the break.

“It’s ideal for our referees and volunteers who are working all year-round, and they are our highest priority,” she said.

“Players are also at the risk of getting injured.

“Through risk analysis, we’re wary of volunteer burnout, and with a break it gives families a chance to get away from the game and come back with a renewed love of the game.

“This way they can enjoy a good sport-life balance.”

Laurel said two of his players — Shannon Bartlett and Ryan Smith — lost interest during the break and walked away from the club.

“It is what it is. (The break) can kill momentum that you build up. We’ve just got to maintain our focus now,” he said.

“Most of our players were still playing in Division 1.”

Despite two consecutive losses before the break, Laurel said his fourth-placed team — a comfortable eight competition points above fifth-placed Razzle — was still in a strong position.

“We know we just need to keep winning against the teams we need to beat, and then finals is a different competition,” he said.

Razzle also faces Lightning in men’s and women’s action tonight.

The third-placed Rebels women’s team welcomed the break, ahead of tonight’s League game also against Eagles.

“It was good because a lot of players in our team are juniors who got to enjoy their school holidays,” Rebels coach Brendan Lee said.

“I’ve got three girls (Shavayah Lee, Kaitlyn Whittaker and Toya Norris) playing in the School Sport Australia Championships in Adelaide who won’t play, but I think we’ll be right.”