ENGLAND have their best shot of winning a World Cup since they fell short in the semi-finals 28 years ago and - predictably - the UK media is having a ball.

The Three Lions’ 2-0 win over Sweden didn’t just send the English public into raptures but news rooms across the country as well.

The #ItsComingHome campaign gained further momentum with the win, after Harry Maguire and Dele Alli scored the decisive goals to send England through.

The last time England made the World Cup semi finals was 1990 in Italy when they bowed out to West Germany in a penalty shoot-out.

But UK media believe things are different with Harry Kane’s men, who will now face Croatia in four days for a shot at World Cup glory.

Are the English public getting ahead of themselves? Time will tell.

GAMES/RESULTS:
Sweden 0 - 2 England
Russia (3) 2 - 2 (4) Croatia

BEST MOMENT:
The legend of Jordan Pickford grows.

He may be small in stature, but Pickford is making a big name for himself at the World Cup as the Everton goalkeeper produced three stunning saves against Sweden to help England reach the semi-finals for the first time in 28 years.

In just his eighth international appearance, Pickford became the youngest English goalkeeper to keep a clean sheet at the World Cup by flying left and right to deny Marcus Berg and Viktor Claesson before showing his agility by tipping another rising Berg effort over.

For a match England largely controlled in winning 2-0, the fact Pickford was named man-of-the-match underlined his contribution to ensuring the Three Lions are still involved in the closing stages.

It has been a whirlwind week for the 24-year-old after his save from Colombia’s Carlos Bacca helped England win a World Cup penalty shootout for the first time.

“This is what football’s all about, being on the big stage,” said Pickford.

“I don’t put myself under any pressure, I embrace the moment and play in the moment.

“Nothing fazes me, the pitch is always going to be the same, same lines, same goal height, it’s just a game of football.”

BEST GOAL:
Russia’s opening goal against Croatia was a belter. It wasn’t enough in the end but check out this glorious piece of football nonetheless...

48 NATIONS TO CONTEST 2022 WORLD CUP?:
Qatari organizers of the 2022 World Cup say they’re open to talks about a 48-team tournament, and can see a format to host it alone.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino’s wish to add 16 extra teams in 2022 was seen as pushing Qatar toward letting neighboring states into a co-hosting plan.

In Moscow last month, pressure on Qatar was eased when the Infantino-chaired FIFA Council agreed the host nation’s consent was a “precondition” for change.

A senior Qatari official on Saturday said a 48-team tournament could be staged using just the eight stadiums in and around Doha.

“Yes, it’s doable, we just need to figure out how it is done,” Nasser Al Khater, the assistant secretary general Tournament Affairs, told reporters.

“If the format is done right, it could actually be an edition that is exciting.”

Though Qatar is willing to negotiate, the veto power it apparently gained is key to any progress on the tournament expansion.

WHAT SOCIAL MEDIA IS TALKING ABOUT:
Neymar takes to Instagram...

Brazil came to Russia with a strong team, a well-liked coach and a great star. Fans thought the Selecao would finally end its World Cup title drought.

But again the five-time world champions are leaving empty handed, unable to make it to the semifinals four years after that humiliating 7-1 loss to Germany at its home World Cup.

It was a bad blow for the Brazilians.

“I can say this is the saddest moment of my career,” said Neymar on Instagram.

“There is a lot of pain because we knew we could go further and make history. But it wasn’t meant to be. It’s difficult to find strength to want to play soccer again, but I’m sure God will give me enough strength to face anything.”

Neymar left fans the message a day after Brazil’s 2-1 loss to Belgium in the World Cup quarterfinals in Kazan.