AS the old adage goes, karma has a funny way of finding you.

Toby Greene’s confidence serves as a major reason for the dynamic forward’s unique on-field capabilities.

But it is that confidence – or overconfidence – that sees the 24-year-old among the competition’s most divisive players. And perhaps divisive is putting it kindly.

Signing autographs ahead of the Giants’ knockout semi-final loss to Collingwood, Greene told a polite young Richmond fan he’d “see (him) next week.”

Lo and behold, the perennial pantomime villain played a stinker – held scoreless with just nine touches by Magpies defender Tom Langdon – while GWS was bundled out early for the third consecutive season.

When shown the footage on AFL Game Day, Goldsack was unable to hold back laughter and offered to reserve a seat for Greene in next week’s preliminary final.

“I might send him a ticket so he can come down and watch,” Goldsack to the delight of hosts Leigh Matthews, Shaun Grigg, Jude Bolton and Hamish McLachlan.

A finals feel-good story, Goldsack sits on the other end of the scale to Greene. More disciplined than mercurial and admired far more than he is maligned.

The premiership defender is enjoying a solid finals campaign after making a remarkable recovery from an ACL injury sustained in round 23 last year.

But Goldsack mightn’t have featured in September at all if not for a robust conversation with Collingwood’s medical staff.

Magpie Tyson Goldsack was forced to plead for his place in Collingwood's VFL team a month ago after medicos wanted him on ice for longer.
7 Sport

“I needed two (VFL) games before I come back to AFL level, is what I thought in my mind,” he said.

“I had a setback a few weeks before that because I hurt my back. That kind everything back a bit and (brought) a lot of pressure to come back earlier.

“I said give me until Thursday and let me prove myself to play the VFL game that weekend but I’d heard on the Tuesday that I’d already been ruled out which didn’t sit well with me.

“I wanted everyone to be open and honest and if there was something that was not going to happen, just tell me first don’t let me find out another way.

“I called the medicos into the office and said what’s going on and then put my case forward - pleaded my case, some would say.

“I’m 12 years in, I think I know what it takes to play at a certain level and I know what I need to get to AFL level and it was two games of VFL football.

“I put my cards on the table and I pleaded my case and in the end we all hugged.”