Western Australia seamer Andrew Tye says he has experienced "incredible highs and pretty devastating lows" in a rollercoaster 2018.

The year started with Tye making his one-day international debut and taking his maiden five-wicket haul in his fourth match on his home soil in Perth, but that series ended 4-1 in favour of England.

Tye then played a vital role in Australia's T20 tri-series win over England and New Zealand, an undefeated campaign that was achieved by the country's Big Bash stars while the Test team was in South Africa.

Through suspension and injury, Australia then fielded a side missing six first-choice players for June's five-match ODI series in England, where the hosts won 5-0 and Tye played in the first three matches.

His third match was the record-breaking run-fest at Trent Bridge, a day where England scored 6-481 and Tye became just the second Australian after Victoria's Mick Lewis to concede 100 runs in an ODI.

He bounced back to play in the following T20 tri-series against Pakistan and Zimbabwe in Harare, where Australia lost the final to Pakistan as Tye went wicketless.

Around his national duties, Tye played in India for Kings XI Punjab and finished the Indian Premier League season as the tournament's highest wicket-taker, and more recently played 11 T20 matches for Gloucestershire in England's T20 competition.

All that cricket meant Tye was away from home for roughly five months, but he's returned to Perth a wiser player having endured the full spectrum of life as an international cricketer.

"It's been awesome," Tye told cricket.com.au today.

"There's been some incredible highs and some pretty devastating lows. That's the way it goes.

"We may have been pantsed by England in the summer over there but at the same time we're just starting our journey towards the World Cup, whereas that's the best cricket I've ever seen them (England) play.

"If they're playing that a year out from the World Cup then hopefully we get close to that mark next year and they have played their best cricket.

"They've got to try and keep that level up for a full year, which can be quite hard."

Tye was tested like he's never been before, not only at Trent Bridge but at Auckland's Eden Park where his figures of 2-64 from four overs were the most expensive recorded by an Australian in a T20 international.

But after each setback, the 31-year-old rebounded and he says he learned a lot about himself and his cricket in national colours.

"The biggest thing I've taken away from it is just trust your game," he said.

"I had a couple of conversations at times when I was worried that what I was doing wasn't the right thing. But, I'd been selected for a reason and doubting that was going away from what I'd done to get selected.

"Even when things are going well, just keep trusting yourself and when things aren't quite going as well, just keep trusting what you're doing and keep trying to get better.

"If you're doing the right thing it might just be a simple little tweak that you need to improve and you'll be right."

There's little time to rest for Tye, who is set to play in Western Australia's opening JLT One-Day Cup clash against NSW tomorrow at the WACA Ground.

The Warriors won the 50-over tournament last summer and Tye is hoping for a repeat effort this season.

"We're feeling pretty good," Tye said.

"Even though we're losing the Marsh brothers and Ashton Agar for the Test series (in the UAE), there was an international series in India on during the JLT Cup last year.

"The fact that we've got guys like Marcus Stoinis, myself, hopefully towards the backend a guy like Jason Behrendorff and then we've got Nathan Coulter-Nile and Joel Paris all fit for the tournament, we've got a very good side together.

"Whether that translates into wins and being able to win it back-to-back, I hope it does.

"The way the tournament is, we've qualified for the finals and hopefully we can get all the guys in the right frame of mind and form heading towards the finals."

Another change in Perth this year is in the coaching department, with WA legend Adam Voges taking over the reins left by national coach Justin Langer.

But Tye says the transition has been seamless.

"The main strength of his (Voges) is his very strong relationship with the squad," Tye said.

"He knows how everyone goes about it, how to get the best out of everyone from being captain for most of us – that's awesome.

"From what I've seen so far there's nothing too different from him and 'JL'.

"But every coach has their own attributes and key points they work on to suit them.

"You can definitely tell in some of those respects he's got some different approaches to what JL did.

"He's really good at communicating and I think he'll do very well in the job."