England spinner Moeen Ali has backed the International Cricket Council’s push to eliminate on-field abuse by permitting broadcasters to turn stump microphones up during play.

Last year, the ICC unveiled new penalties for offensive verbal taunts and announced stump microphones could be left on, a deviation from previous regulations that required microphones to be turned down in between deliveries.

Pakistan’s Sarfraz Ahmed and West Indies quick Shannon Gabriel have both been banned in the past month after offensive comments were broadcast on air, and Moeen says it’s sending a clear message to players.

"It's time for people to behave themselves," the England spinner said.

"Turn the stump mics up. Why turn them down? So people can swear? There is no reason to get personal.

"It's a shame, because Shannon Gabriel is a really nice guy and a quiet person. But it's the way society is: things come out of people's mouths.

"You're not going to get away with it now. You have to be careful."

Moeen’s comments deviate from several high-profile figures in the game, including his England coach Trevor Bayliss, who say leaving stump microphones on risks bad language – while not necessarily abusive or offensive – being heard by children watching on television.

“I've said it once before, no I'm not in favour of it and I'm not going to change my mind,” Bayliss said earlier this week.

“Sometimes in the heat of battle, things are said when guys given a bit of time to sit down and think about it would give themselves a bit of a kick up the backside.”

Moeen, a Muslim of Pakistani and English heritage, wrote in his recent autobiography that an Australian player had called him “Osama” during the first Test of the 2015 Ashes series. The incident was not broadcast, and the Australian player denied the claim when it was put to him.

The 31-year-old believes amplifying the stump microphones would also make the game a more attractive television product as the entertaining banter between players – like that between Australian Tim Paine and India’s Rishabh Pant this summer – will be shared with the viewers.

"Imagine all the legendary old stories, if we had them recorded," Moeen said. "We can do the same now.

“It doesn't have to be swearing. Keep it funny. We want people to be attracted to the game. There's brilliant ways to sledge.

"If you don't think they are good, tell them. Sledge them about their cricket. Just don't go personal. Turn the mics up."