Unwavering belief in the list and fears that change could affect the team’s chemistry and culture were key reasons the Perth Wildcats ruled out making any changes to their roster for the rest of the NBL season.

The Wildcats had been under external pressure to replace one of their Australian players with a third import after winning only two of their past eight games.

They also faced a January 20 deadline, given any replacement must feature in seven matches to qualify for the post-season.

Coach Trevor Gleeson yesterday informed his players he wouldn’t be making changes.

Gleeson told The West Australian the negatives of change far outweighed the positives and he was happy with his squad.

“This group is a special group,” Gleeson said.

“We’ve had championship teams before and they do extra stuff together.

“The camaraderie is good and the selflessness is great. This team ticks all of those boxes.

“My philosophy is I will take a guy who is less talented every day of the week to fit into the team and play with the team, rather than having a superstar who looks after himself.”

Gleeson said the Wildcats were always monitoring the availability of imports in case they needed to sign someone as an injury replacement.

The club can still sign a player if anyone is seriously injured, but the seven-game finals qualification criteria won’t change.

Despite their poor form, the Wildcats remain second on the ladder and will tonight play their first home match since December 14 when they host the Cairns Taipans.

Gleeson said he had full faith that his team could win this year’s title.

“I believe that we can win a championship with the team we have,” he said.

“We are not going to sign a third import and cut an Australian. We are backing the team that we’ve got.

“We are going through a rough period, without a question. But these things are fixable.

“We have let ourselves down. It’s not a lack of skill or talent. We’ve been in front four times when we’ve lost and you don’t do that consistently if you don’t have talent.”

Gleeson promised a return to high-pressure trapping defence tonight after admitting the team had lost its way in recent weeks.

He said concentration had been a problem in some games and admitted they had also used the wrong tactics against New Zealand last weekend.

“I think we’ll do a lot more up-the-court stuff,” Gleeson said. “We’ve been turning into a half-court team and that’s not really our strength.”